Kickstart question

General support questions including new installations
stevefox

Kickstart question

Post by stevefox » 2015/10/08 00:23:36

Hi, I am trying to figure out why I cannot use pvcreate, vgcreate and lvcreate commands from a kickstart configuration file within the %pre area yet somehow utilizing the kickstart 'part,' 'volgroup' and 'logvol' keywords the kickstart is somehow able to use these commands, or so it would appear. Kickstart is able to create pv's, vg's and lv's yet I cannot for the life of me find the *create commands. Can anyone help me?

I am trying to make a kickstart configuration file which will create the filesystems then halt the system. It appears that the filesystems are not created within the %pre area but between the %pre and the %packages areas of the kickstart configuration. If I could only access the *create commands manually within the %pre I could do exactly what I need to do without wasting time installing the packages. I am restoring over anything that gets installed so I'm just trying to cut out the actual installation portion of the kickstart.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Kickstart question

Post by TrevorH » 2015/10/08 02:37:10

The install environment has one single "lvm" binary, linked statically. To run, e.g. pvcreate, you need to run lvm pvcreate ...
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

stevefox

Re: Kickstart question

Post by stevefox » 2015/10/08 20:59:29

Thanks, I eventually got around that while I was waiting for the post to get approved.

I was also wondering if there is any type of cross reference to see what the actual command line is that is run when a certain keyword is used within the kickstart config file. I would like to know what command is run if clearpart is used and if zerombr is used in the config file. In other words, is kickstart looking in the config file and seeing the entry for zero mbr and the saying "oh, ok you want to zero the mbr? dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=450 count=1 there ya go, all cleared!"

I'm curious to see what gets executed with various keywords, specifically pertaining to partitions, file systems and lvm.

Thanks again.