Rookie mistake!

General support questions including new installations
stephanviljoen009

Rookie mistake!

Post by stephanviljoen009 » 2015/12/03 10:05:01

Hi There.

I was wondering whether there's a simple way to restore my Centos OS? I was busy cleaning some files and wasn't paying attention to what I'm doing which ended up in my deleting allot of system files ... Lib64 and most likely a bunch of other. I've been able to restore the Lib64 folder and most libraries seems present but the system boots up to the point where I need to login but doesn't accepts my Username / password. There's also an error that flashes up which is most likely more missing files.

So my question is , instead of trying to figure out what files are still missing , isn't there perhaps an easier method to just re-install / restore the OS to scratch without loosing any data? I really want to try and avoid moving my data since it's a mailserver which I need to get back up ASAP so moving 400GB of space from and back is going to take to long.

Thanks in advance,

-steph

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Rookie mistake!

Post by TrevorH » 2015/12/03 12:41:20

Unfortunately, not really. Best thing to do would be to boot from rescue media and back up all the data you need before you start to try to fix it. I suspect you're in for a reinstall but you could try checking the logs in /var/log for the errors that cause it to fail and fix those one by one.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke