How to Uninstall Red5 and Openmeetings?

Issues related to software problems.
delfinparis

How to Uninstall Red5 and Openmeetings?

Post by delfinparis » 2015/04/01 15:07:54

I'm sorry for the newbie question - I have looked online prior to writing this, and couldn't find the answer.

Is there a way to uninstall a few programs the previous admin had installed years back? Specifically I'd like to remove red5 (it's a streaming media server) and openmeetings (video conferencing program).

I can remove the main directories, but I didn't know if there were other directories/files that needed to be deleted as well. Curious if anyone had some advice. Thank you very much!

gerald_clark

Re: How to Uninstall Red5 and Openmeetings?

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/04/01 16:26:44

This is why you only install programs from rpms.
You will have to find the original install program for these foreign programs, find where everything is installed, and remove them.
If a tar file was used, inspect the tarfile.
If compiled, check for an uninstall program in the source.
Make sure you don't remove any core files the foreign packages may have overwritten.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Re: How to Uninstall Red5 and Openmeetings?

Post by AlanBartlett » 2015/04/01 16:40:07

As CentOS is a package orientated system, the first thing to do is to see if those unwanted utilities were installed as rpm packages. To do that, you would supply the full path to one of those utility's files to the rpm -qf command.

Here is a simple example. I have seen that there is a file named stat in the /usr/bin/ directory and I would like to know which package provided it.

[Duo2 ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/stat
coreutils-8.4-37.el6.x86_64
[Duo2 ~]$

So we see that the coreutils package provided the stat file in the /usr/bin/ directory.

Returning to your query, choose a file from the "Red5" utility and one from the "Openmeetings" utility. Submit each file's name, in turn, to rpm -qf and examine the resulting output. If either one or both return package names, then your task is very simple. You would just remove the named package and the utility will be removed.

[Edit: I see that Gerald has posted in the time I was composing the above. I'll leave my response as it complements the observations in Gerald's reply.]
Image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.