Dual Head Problems

Issues related to software problems.
mgreen

Dual Head Problems

Post by mgreen » 2007/04/29 19:36:09

I use a PCBSD system with dual screens to access CentOS v5 by selecting "Remote Session" from my PCBSD log in screen. When I get the CentOS screen and choose to login using Gnome, within a few seconds I get a Error message saying

"I have detected a panel is already running, exiting" . Then the gnome screen comes up on both screens, but there is no panel at top and bottom of either screen. Presumably the gnome-panel program objects to a second instance of itself and gives up. However if you open a terminal and change to root, then type "gnome-panel &" it comes up properly on both screens.

This dual screen system works fine with Solaris, PCBSD, Mandrake Linux and with KDE on CentOS v5, so I am sure the problem is with gnome.

Another oddity is that on the second screen, if you right click then choose "open terminal" the terminal window pops up on the first screen.

I dont think I got this "panel blowup" when connecting to Mandrake 10 and starting a gnome session. That is an older Gnome of course.

Further to this there is another problem, but with Firefox. If you open Firefox on one screen then try to open it on the other screen, it says "Another Firefox is already running " and refuses to load. Konqueror loads multiple copies with no problem.

Incidently KDE people are not totally perfect in a dual head situation. With KDE on PCBSD and CentOS v5 if you right click the panel and select "configure panel", when you star messing about with attributes such as "animate panel hiding" or "show r-h hide arrow" etc the application gets cofused about which KDE panel its adjusting and sometimes changes the one on the other screen. I cnat establish the exact patern with that bug, but there is something wrong.