Google chrome for CentOS ??

Issues related to software problems.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Google chrome for CentOS ??

Post by pschaff » 2010/01/11 13:31:50

[quote]
ALUOp wrote:
Headless server = no need of gui apps? First time hearing this.
Do you know what "headless" means?[/quote]
Welcome to the CentOS fora. A post that could be viewed as a slight against a senior member might not be the best way to introduce yourself to the community. :-)

I believe we can assume Michael is well aware of the meaning of headless, whether of not we agree with him on the CentOS market segment. It is certainly possible to run GUI apps on a headless system with remote display via X, VNC, NX, etc. Whether or not they are "needed" is a different question.

This is now way OT for the thread. Any further discussion of this philosophical nature should move to CentOS Social.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2010/01/11 15:42:52

Considering that this thread's [i]Subject header[/i] started out as [b]Google chrome for CentOS ??[/b] (to which I have now reset it), it seem that a thread hijack has taken place. :-x

In view of this, I'll ask a moderator to please lock this thread. The thread's [i]OP[/i] or other contributors who remained on-topic can always start a new thread, if required.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/01/11 15:51:55

[quote]
AlanBartlett wrote:
Considering that this thread's [i]Subject header[/i] started out as [b]Google chrome for CentOS ??[/b] (to which I have now reset it), it seem that a thread hijack has taken place. :-x

In view of this, I'll ask a moderator to please lock this thread. The thread's [i]OP[/i] or other contributors who remained on-topic can always start a new thread, if required.[/quote]

Considered locking it after issuing the warning, but decided not to as there might be more legitimate on-topic discussions. If it wanders further, I will be glad to do the dirty deed. :-)

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2010/01/11 16:53:49

[quote]
Considered locking it after issuing the warning, but decided not to as there might be more legitimate on-topic discussions.
[/quote]
That's fair enough. ;-)

ALUOp

Post by ALUOp » 2010/01/12 01:08:32

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[quote]
ALUOp wrote:
Headless server = no need of gui apps? First time hearing this.
Do you know what "headless" means?[/quote]
Welcome to the CentOS fora. A post that could be viewed as a slight against a senior member might not be the best way to introduce yourself to the community. :-)

I believe we can assume Michael is well aware of the meaning of headless, whether of not we agree with him on the CentOS market segment. It is certainly possible to run GUI apps on a headless system with remote display via X, VNC, NX, etc. Whether or not they are "needed" is a different question.

This is now way OT for the thread. Any further discussion of this philosophical nature should move to CentOS Social.[/quote]

Thank you for your welcome, mod. I apologize if my comment sounded offensive; it was never intended to be.
I don't care who is senior who is not.
I just think that "headless = no gui apps needed" is totally incorrect and I guess most of you here agree?
I have no objection regarding Michael's statement on the market segment.
I like GUI apps and I think the more GUI apps out there the more popular Linux will be.
I tried to install Chrome my CentOS 5.4 box and obviously it failed.
The first Google result takes me here but it seems like there is no easy fix.
I hope RHEL 6 will be out soon 'cos some of the things in version 5 are really getting too old.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/01/12 13:36:39

Thanks for clearing up your intent. Online communications are difficult without the non-verbal cues we have used throughout human history. A lot of people are eagerly awaiting 6 - another potential topic for Social at this point. End-of-OT-ramblings.

michaeln

Post by michaeln » 2010/01/12 17:44:25

Don't worry folks, it's not like I care what anyone here thinks of me or my opinions.

chris_staite

Post by chris_staite » 2010/02/24 22:51:17

I actually forgot about this post, but just stumbled back upon it.

I didn't realise that people were having issues with the build. The statically linked "/data/private/cxs548" directory should be dealt with by the environment variables in the wrapper. It seems to work on all the machines I've tried on in the department that don't have it.

However, if someone can give me an indication on what I can add to my build script in order to fix this problem I'd be happy to add it so you don't have to for every build. Obviously, I can't break my own environment though.

I forgot to say before that my build script runs at midnight every Saturday (except when I'm on holiday and my computer gets a break). It usually takes around 30-45 minutes to update and build. It has to do it twice because the language pack gets messed up. So you can be sure that on a Saturday morning the latest version is available. However, no testing (other than the standard waterfall buildbot) occurs until I get in on the Monday and fire up my browser. Therefore, I'd say the best day to download it if you want to keep up to date is on a Friday.

xkahn

printing doesn't work!

Post by xkahn » 2010/04/05 14:50:41

[quote]
chris_staite wrote:
I actually forgot about this post, but just stumbled back upon it.

I forgot to say before that my build script runs at midnight every Saturday (except when I'm on holiday and my computer gets a break). It usually takes around 30-45 minutes to update and build. It has to do it twice because the language pack gets messed up. So you can be sure that on a Saturday morning the latest version is available. However, no testing (other than the standard waterfall buildbot) occurs until I get in on the Monday and fire up my browser. Therefore, I'd say the best day to download it if you want to keep up to date is on a Friday.[/quote]

Hmm... Trying this out on a (sorry) RHEL 5 system, I can't seem to print. The printer dialog shows up but there are no printers in the list. Other programs can print fine, so cups appears to be working. Is there some magic I need to do to get printing working?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: printing doesn't work!

Post by pschaff » 2010/04/06 11:09:30

[quote]
xkahn wrote:
Hmm... Trying this out on a (sorry) RHEL 5 system, I can't seem to print. The printer dialog shows up but there are no printers in the list. Other programs can print fine, so cups appears to be working. Is there some magic I need to do to get printing working?[/quote]

Welcome to the CentOS fora. The following reading is recommended for new users:
[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14274&forum=47]Readme First[/url]
[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14408&forum=47]Installing Software[/url]
[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14273&forum=47]Where to Find Answers[/url]
[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25128&forum=47]How to provide information about your system[/url]

1. If you have RHEL 5 you should be using their support channels. If you want to migrate to CentOS, please read http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide

2. I am hard-pressed to understand what your question has to do with getting Google Chrome to work on CentOS. Please do not hijack threads. If you have a question about printing on CentOS, please start a new topic.