Multiple users from xp client connecting to Samba 3.0.33 CentOS 5.5 64bit

Issues related to software problems.
burak

Multiple users from xp client connecting to Samba 3.0.33 CentOS 5.5 64bit

Post by burak » 2012/02/07 21:59:39

Hi,

I have a XP SP3 OS running pc as a terminal server (do not ask how) , there are different user accounts on it and people are connecting to a shared folder on samba server. Users are running an exe file and using the software which connects to an MS Sql server.

Sometimes and randomly users are getting exception error messages and some other access violation errors.
It seems very random such as sometimes there a few days without an error message.

What I noticed most when a user closes the software, sometimes other users can get an exception error message. Only the ones running the software on the same XP terminal server are getting these error messages.
The error message appears even when we kill the exe via task manager and the user runs the software again and browse some menus...

In order to get rid of the error messages, all the users running the software on the xp server closes the software and we do run a part of software that checks for users still seems to be connected to the Ms sql server , but in fact not and cleans some tables in the sql server.

Regarding samba:
Something I noticed that when users connect to samba server from the xp machine, in the smbstatus , I see different user names and same pid no per machine name.
So, connections are served via same samba daemon to the xp client eventhough the user accounts connected are diferent.

I checked for oplocks but always "none" is displayed in smbstatus oplock column. I think this is not an oplock problem but a pid vs user name problem.
I guess if a user closes a connection to samba share , other users connection from the same xp machine is being effected.
The reason I can think of is all the connections from a client is being served by the same samba daemon, at least this is what I make of from smbstatus...

As a solution , I need a way so that each different user is being served by a different samba daemon. As if each user is a different machine...

I would be so glad if someone would advise how ...

Thanks for reading.
Burak

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Multiple users from xp client connecting to Samba 3.0.33 Cen

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/09 16:24:33

I suspect this question might have a better chance of getting a definitive answer on the [url=https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba]Samba list[/url], but my guess from empirical evidence based on the Samba logs, it that connections are by IP address, and I doubt it can be easily made to work the way you want.

burak

Re: Multiple users from xp client connecting to Samba 3.0.33 CentOS 5.5 64bit

Post by burak » 2012/02/10 16:23:59

Well , good news is that I found the solution and it is an easy one.

I added netbios aliases to the smb.conf file and mapped same drive letter with to a different aliased servername for each user.

Now that all users connect from the same client to the same file with different pid numbers on Samba / Centos server ...

More details can be found in the attached file. ( I can not upload here, receiving errors ! )

Here is the original link : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02037826/c02037826.pdf

Credit goes to Eric Roseme from HP.

Thanks a lot for this paper :)

Burak Ural