CentOS 5.8 video driver problem

Issues related to hardware problems
cento12

CentOS 5.8 video driver problem

Post by cento12 » 2012/12/30 05:29:59

i have an older server from about 2001 i was given. i recently lost the OS drive on the system and dicided to go to linux instead of windows. i have tried open suse, centos and both do just about the same thing. they boot fine then they go into installing drivers it hits vidio driver then another line pops up after that for <=1sec then blanks out. i left it run for about 5 min on both os thinking mayby normal install, but still no video. the chip is a cirus logic cl-gd54m30. i looked all over for drivers for it, but everything is for windows. is there any way i can bypass this and just use the genaric driver it uses when it boots? it's just a home use file server so as long as ther is video it will be fine.

here are some specs on the system if it helps
unisys aquanta ES: 2000 series 2 dual CPU intel PIII xeon @500 mhz, ram max 1GB, SCSI ultra-2 SE
video= cirus logic cl-gd54m30[-I-AC-A] (part in bracets don't seem to relate to madel# usaly saw it as gd54m30)
SCSI controler= 2X adaptec aic 7890 AB
network= intel sb82558b
IDE controler= apears to be a national PC97307

can anyone tell me how i could bypass this vidio driver loading, or somewhare to look for a linux driver for it or a universal linux vidio driver.
also does anyone think that i'll have isues with any of these other devices?

cento12

Re: CentOS 5.8 video driver problem

Post by cento12 » 2012/12/30 18:19:54

i tryied centos in text install mode and that worked, but still no GUI. i added the gnome desktop and the x server, xwindows. boots to comand line i tyoed start x. and then it went blank. so definitly somthing is aincompatible between linux and the vidio card. much rather have GUI since i'm still fairly new to linux, rether not wipe it out and go back to windows went to linux because of activation of XP is anoying, and server 2003 won't alow remote acces unless part of domain, guess server 2000 be the same, and that lacks the proper scsi driver. wondering if thers a universal to try or if somone in the comunity could make me a driver.