RAID

Issues related to hardware problems
Aleks0110

RAID

Post by Aleks0110 » 2013/01/27 13:05:59

hello to everyone on this forum...

i have been windows administrator for quite some time, and it is time for me to tackle the next big thing ( at least for me ) - CentOS - i have chosen version 5.8 because i have heard that it is very stable version of centos. the reason i am writing this is because i have trouble getting the RAID working. my build has motherboard - Z77 Pro4m - and i used it to create RAID0 - it's created and everything is fine according to the UEFI.
i go System>Administration>LogicalVolumeManagement and on the left side i get sda, sdb, sdc ( sda - CentOS ), so the centos can see the drives but it doesn't recognize the RAID i have created via motherboard. i tried to Initialize entity but i get message
@pvcreate command failed. Command attempted: "/usr/sbin/pvcreate -M 2 /dev/sdb1"
- System Error Message: Device /dev/sdb1 not found ( or ignored by filtering )@

i restarted the system and afterwards i get message

@pvcreate command failed. Command attempted: "/usr/sbin/pvcreate -M 2 /dev/sdb1"
- System Error Message: Device /dev/sdb1 not found. Mounted filesystem?@

i could use any help from you guys...

big thanks

TrevorH
Site Admin

RAID

Post by TrevorH » 2013/02/04 09:16:33

It's almost certain that the "RAID" created by your BIOS is a FakeRAID and is not useful in anything other than Windows. I'd have a look at this instead http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5