Dell Perc H710 not recongnizer in Centos 5.4

Issues related to hardware problems
guillaume68

Dell Perc H710 not recongnizer in Centos 5.4

Post by guillaume68 » 2014/03/07 08:37:39

Hi,

I have a Dell T310 server with 2-RAID1 disks plugged on a Perc6/i controller. This server is running fine CentOS 5.4.
I made an image of this server using Acronis True image and paragon. When i deploy this image on any desktop, it works. I thought linux was kind of more "intelligent" and capable of finding a universal driver at least for boot up

So I recently purchased a Dell Poweredge T320 with a Perc H710 Controller and 2 RAID1-Disks. The recovery of the image was successful. The grub starts and i get a kernel panic: "cannot find /dev/root".... I've read that it was probably something with the initrd that lacks the RAID Controller drivers.
But i've also read that Perc6/i and H710 had the same megaraid_sas driver. So since the T310 has a Perc6/i, i would have thought the new system would boot properly

I'm a newbie with Linux and i'm really lost. I tried to boot from a Centos 5.4 Installation dvd in rescue mode but it doesn't find any linux installation!!??? So i cannot do what is said in this wiki

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CreateNewInitrd

I've read that adaptec (i thought it was close to LSI) give *.img file that you can mount from a usb stick in order to have the SCSI card recognized. But LSI don't seem to do so

- I don't know if there is an automatic initrd rebuild function with Centos??
- I don't know if i can boot with a DVD-centos from another version and "repair" my Centos 5.4 (i saw that centos 5.9 comes with native support of H710 controller)
- Dell tells you to install megaraid_sas.....noarh.rpm: I haven't mnaged to find them under dell website. And even if i had, i dn't know how to use an rpm when there is no boot
-I don't know if there's a way to slipstream drivers to a Centos 5.4 ISO file so that centos 5.4 recognizes my controller??

In order to help you help me
I have centos 5.4, kernel 2.6.18-164.el5PAE.
One more detail: to deploy the image, i've created a RAID-1 array at server startup by pressing CTRL+R. Then i booted with a boot CD to start acronis or paragon and the RAID was recognized. SO i recovered my image to the new RAID1. Then reboot... grub....kernel panic

A thorough step by step help would be really appreciated since i very often don't understand what i do under linux.

Thanks a lot.... and excuse me for my poor english!!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Dell Perc H710 not recongnizer in Centos 5.4

Post by TrevorH » 2014/03/07 09:23:54

Do not use CentOS 5.4. The current release is 5.10.

Why? For a start, support for your hardware was added to the kernel between the prehistoric version you have now and the current 2.6.18-371.4.1.el5 so your hardware will just work out of the box if you use a recent release.

More importantly there are security vulnerabilities in 5.4 that are large enough to drive a truck through. You need to udate to 5.10 using `yum update` ASAP or use the 5.10 media to install.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Super Jamie

Re: Dell Perc H710 not recongnizer in Centos 5.4

Post by Super Jamie » 2014/03/07 10:57:35

Dell have only certified the T320 for 5.8 and later: https://hardware.redhat.com/&quicksearch=T320

Like Trevor said, there are probably drivers which were added around 5.8 which your system requires. They are not in 5.4 so the installation fails.