Server freeze logging in on tty

Issues related to hardware problems
welbo

Re: Server freeze logging in on tty

Post by welbo » 2014/08/08 19:32:36

Ran a few tests today. Issue is still confirmed. Computer freezes when switching tty's from gnome via CTRL-ALT-F2. The ssh session on a lan computer dies. The monitor shows "No Input Signal". Fans, hard drives, Power LED and eth Link LED's are still on. I cannot switch back to tty 7. I also noticed, initially when I issued 'halt' from an ssh session, the computer did not shut down cleanly. I had to force it off with the power switch being held down for 5 seconds.
Two add-on cards are reseated, a new a/c power cable is installed.

To test, I booted into runlevel 3 by putting "3" at the end of my grub conf line. All systems normal. Issuing "reboot" from the command line, the computer performed a clean reboot.

Boot back into runlevel 5 by allowing the default grub conf to exercise, the computer successfully boots into the login screen for gnome. I can log into gnome desktop, bring up a terminal window, operate completely normal, unless I try to switch tty's. Then an instant freeze with no more discernible cpu activity.
Additionally, I checked and Magic SysRq is compiled so I enabled on this machine and tried "Raising Elephants" with no response. I believe the machine really has completely frozen.

I'm still leaning toward a video driver problem. Does the vga=791 mode selection in the grub conf persist all the way through boots, or is there another way to select the tty video modes before switching them?

gerald_clark, to answer your question, the machine has X running because I occasionally have a problem that I can handle easier through a vnc session than from the command line. The system is very lightly used. The load of X running, especially since no one is usually logged in, does not cost me very much. However, in this case it is costing me hours of time troubleshooting. Switching to a permanent boot to runlevel 3 is a viable solution and one that I will use if I cannot come to a solution soon. However, my curiosity has kept me engaged to this point and stubbornness will keep me engaged a little longer.

gerald_clark

Re: Server freeze logging in on tty

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/08/08 20:01:23

Check for video drivers at elrepo.org.
As I said, C5 does not support that video hardware.
C6 does.