not able to recover zone file from my ns server to apnic

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
ameya

Post by ameya » 2010/02/17 10:02:12

I have installed a centos 5.4 server with Bind services running on the 2 servers.but getiing error "the working directory is not writable".
while restarting the named services.

milosb

Re: not able to recover zone file from my ns server to apnic

Post by milosb » 2010/02/17 15:49:05

So? What is your question? :-)
The working directory is not writable by default, indeed.
[code]
[root@xxxxxx ~]# ls -lhd /var/named/chroot/var/named
drwxr-x--- 4 root named 4.0K Jan 20 17:31 /var/named/chroot/var/named
[/code]
These are the default settings [b]named[/b] comes with (at least, I know I haven't changed them). I also have BIND running on my home machine for almost a year now... and I never had any problems with such permission settings. Googleing for the error message from logs will lead you to a solution to get rid of it - the first link to be exact. However, I'm no BIND expert to tell you what the right permissions and file ownership would be for the folders and files coming with BIND. On the other hand, I can tell I only know of a few services requiring some permission changes in order to work properly ( assigning SUID to an executable), and BIND is not one of them, so I prefer to leave it as it is for now.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/02/17 18:58:46

[b]milosb[/b] sounds a lot more knowledgeable than I in this area, so let me just add "[b]ameya[/b], Welcome to the CentOS fora."

I was also stimulated to resort to google and learned what an [url=http://www.apnic.net/]APNIC[/url] is.