Need advice on restoring sever from restore files provided by host provider

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
washad

Need advice on restoring sever from restore files provided by host provider

Post by washad » 2017/04/21 16:09:43

My scenario is this;

We have a CentOS5 Server hosted remotely (3rd party). This was set up before CPanel and before my time. Recently, the server had failed, We later learned that it was a bad sector in the drive and the OS wouldn't boot. Fortunately, we payed for automatic backups.

For these old systems - at least for our provider - backup / restore means that they provisioned a new server with CentOS5 installed, created a new folder called "_restore" can placed everything that was in root ('/') from the backup. I'm left with the task of getting the server up and running again. I don't know much about the system other than it served PHP files (Apache I assume), used MySQL, and had some python scripts.

I'm by no means a Linux expert - and what experience I do have is with Ubuntu derived system. However, my understanding of Linux is that, since there is no registry, the entire system should exist in the file system. Thus, I believe my task simply involves copying the correct folders from the '_restore' folder to the '/' folder.

My question(s) then are this;
1) Is my assumption correct, will copying the correct files essentially restore my system to working just as it did before, without the need to re-install Apache, MySql and recreate the MySql database?
2) What specific folders should I copy to make this work?
3) Is there anything that I am ignorant of that I should seek to understand?

Thank you.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Need advice on restoring sever from restore files provided by host provider

Post by TrevorH » 2017/04/22 13:12:48

3) Is there anything that I am ignorant of that I should seek to understand?
Apart from CentOS 5 being dead? You might want to take this opportunity to update the system to CentOS 7 and set it up there instead. It sounds like you need to do a fair amount of work to get back to where you were on CentOS 5 and that still leaves you on a dead operating system that will get steadily more and more out of date and less and less secure.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke