Cannot find config for e-mail adresses

Support for webhosts that use CentOS
sourceweb

Post by sourceweb » 2010/08/18 15:42:09

Hi all,

I am programming a new webhosting control panel for my company at the moment.
Everything works fine.

The control panel creates users, databases, home-dirs, gives correct permissions, vsftp is working fine, bind works, apache vhosts are working ...

Only one thing is not working. I had never to do something like this before (I used Plesk, but I hate this resource-eating software).

I don't know where to write (in which configuration file) the email-addresses the users have created.
I have installed sendmail, postfix, dovecot and configured everything.

I can connect to POP, SMTP, I can send e-Mails after correct SMTP-authentication, but I can't receive emails.
This is not surprising because I have not configured the email-addresses.

But what does my control-panel bot have to do, so that a mail send to info@example.com is saved in the folder /home/example.com/mail and a mail send to info@testdomain.com is saved in /home/testdomain.com/mail?
Is there a specific dovecot configuration-file?

It would be great if someone could help me. I'm trying to solve the problem since this morning.

Regards,

Peter

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/08/18 20:56:47

You need to read about [url=http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-email-mda.html]Mail Delivery Agents[/url]. Google may also [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=mail+delivery+agent+centos5+OR+rhel5+OR+el5+OR+%22red+hat+enterprise+linux+5%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active]help[/url]. May also want to read about [url=http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s2-email-types-mua.html]Mail User Agents[/url].

sourceweb

Re: Cannot find config for e-mail adresses

Post by sourceweb » 2010/08/19 12:35:22

Thank you very much for the answer.

Now I know what I need.

Another question:
I have one server, where the MDA works fine. I am using procmail there.

There is no yum or something like this installed.
It's an older version of centos (maybe CentOS 3).

How can I find the config-files of procmail there?

I know that the syntax of these files could have changed in the meantime (between this old procmail version and the new one).
But so I have at least a rough template.

Are this procmails configs in a specific place or are they registered somewhere?

Regards,

Peter

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Cannot find config for e-mail adresses

Post by pschaff » 2010/08/19 12:46:47

No idea. Please verify the old version of CentOS and start a new Topic in the appropriate forum.

Return to “CentOS 5 - Webhosting Support”