Problem REcompiling the kernel optimized for k8

Support for the other architectures (X86_64, IA-64, and PowerPC)
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Re: Problem REcompiling the kernel optimized for k8

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/06/10 00:53:47

[b]D'oh[/b]. :oops:

You're absolutely right. In post #4 I wrote

[quote]rpmbuild -bb --target=[b]`uname -r`[/b] --with baseonly --without kabichk kernel-2.6.spec[/quote]
which is quite wrong! My apologies. I should have written:

[b]rpmbuild -bb --target=[i]`uname -m`[/i] --with baseonly --without kabichk kernel-2.6.spec[/b]

as you quite correctly noticed. The command line I mentioned at point (9) in post #7 is, however, correct:

[b]rpmbuild -bb --target=x86_64 --without kabichk kernel-2.6.spec 2> LOG.err | tee LOG[/b]

There is no need to edit that line ([b]%define with_kabichk %{?_without_kabichk: 0} %{?!_without_kabichk: 1}[/b]) in the spec file, the command line option [b]--without kabichk[/b] takes care of it.

For completeness, I will confess to making another error, this time in post #7. I wrote

[quote]What does [b]uname -r[/b] return on your system? x86_64?[/quote]
when it should have been [b]uname -m[/b].

As you can see, I have been thoroughly mixing up my command line arguments to [b]uname[/b]. There's no real excuse for it apart from the fact that I was rushing to give you a reply and was relying entirely on my memory rather than looking at my hardcopy of the Wiki article. (Which is now covered in pencilled editorial notes, ready for the next update.)

As for the time of a build process, I have found that a [i]--with baseonly[/i] build will take me between 3 & 3.5 hours. Building the entire kernel set will probably take you all night (I always advise people to perform kernel builds overnight & not to sit watching it), possibly taking in excess of 12 hours. It all depends upon your processor speed.

If you split the [i]standard output[/i] and the [i]standard error[/i] into two separate streams and save both into their own logfiles, it does make it easier to review the build process upon termination - hence my recommendation of the command line:

[b]rpmbuild -bb --target=x86_64 --without kabichk kernel-2.6.spec 2> LOG.err | tee LOG[/b]

Please let us ([b]toracat[/b] & [b]me[/b]) know how you get on.

azzamite

Post by azzamite » 2008/06/10 01:15:59

Apologies acepted :-)

I didn't sit and see the compilation, it took only 2 hours to build the 3 kernels (normal, xen and debug) meanwhile I was eating wikipedia.

[quote]
AlanJBartlett wrote:
Please let us ([b]toracat[/b] & [b]me[/b]) know how you get on.[/quote]
What does that means?
I already posted my experience with the use of the kernel in post [b]#9[/b] in case you mean that.
I've being using it for about 4 hours and haven't crashed jet.

My video card works and so my BCM4328 with ndiswrapper.

I wanted to recompile the kernel to enable the [b]sse3[/b] capabilities of my cpu and thereof increase the graphic performance of my worthless GeForce Go 6150, but aparently I failed. I'm keeping using my kernel thought.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/06/10 01:28:05

We've obviously cross-posted.

I was checking what I was about to write and composing my reply to your post #8, whilst you posted #9 (which I've only just seen). My post #10 is in reply to your post #8.

You've done nothing wrong in the build, it worked as I knew it would. And, now that you've had the experience of the process, if you ever feel the need to further optimise the kernel it should not be a problem for you.

Return to “CentOS 5 - X86_64,s390(x) and PowerPC Support”