Doing a re-install of 5.4 should I use the 64 or 32 bit version??

Support for the other architectures (X86_64, IA-64, and PowerPC)
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Doing a re-install of 5.4 should I use the 64 or 32 bit version??

Post by pschaff » 2010/02/02 15:09:45

Yes, but be very careful about mixing 3rd party repos. They may be mutually incompatible. Best if you pick the one that has what you want and stick to it. In any case, when using 3rd party repos I recommend the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities]yum priorities plugin[/url], although not everyone will agree as you will see from reading the Wiki page.

wpflum

Re: Doing a re-install of 5.4 should I use the 64 or 32 bit version??

Post by wpflum » 2010/02/02 17:32:33

In my current system I'm using the Yum Priorities with epel and rpmforge set to a high number. I still have some problems with vlc and a couple of other video/dvd related apps but I can work around them.

I just picked up another 1tb drive and a hot swap sata drive bay for the PC so as soon as I get the 64bit version of Centos Downloaded I'm going to start the operation.

I figured I'd swap the drive out with the new drive and then after I've loaded the new OS I'd plug in the old drive to the hot swap bay and pull off what I need. This way if I do have any big problems I can just boot from the old drive and I'm back in business.

I do have to remember to change the default volume name that Centos makes when it makes an LVM so I wont have problems mounting a duplicate volume name on the old drive..don't ask me why I know this lets just call it hard won knowledge :-D

Bill

Return to “CentOS 5 - X86_64,s390(x) and PowerPC Support”