Scanning mapped drives

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
Bcase

Scanning external mapped drives

Post by Bcase » 2013/11/26 14:24:52

I am new to the Linux and CentOS environments. My back ground is mainly the iseries/as400. We have a Linux box on our network at our site that has CentOS release 5.9 installed Kernal version is 2.6.18-348.4.1.el5. On this linux box there is a drive that is mapped to our iseries, IFS directory structure. Which is basically a p.c. directory structure on the iseries.

Everyday there is something that runs from the linux box, that does a wild card scan of all the directories on the IFS, and all the files in these directories. There are millions of files. It is causing excessive cleanup on the iseries. It looks like it does an initial scan to get the directory listings, then goes back and starts to do a scan of each directory to get a list of files in each directory.

Our network administrators are not aware of anything that is running on the linux box that performs any directory scans or file scans. We have confirmed on the iseries side that the linux box is definitely doing excessive scanning, because we turned on communications tracing for it's IP address specifically.

I would like to know if there is any one out there that would know of a report I can run over a 24 hour period that would indicate what is running on the linux box that is doing the scan?

I had asked our netowrk guys if there was anti virus software running on it and they said linux doesn't have anti virus software.

Any help at all in determining what is causing our problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bcase

Scanning mapped drives

Post by Bcase » 2013/11/26 14:54:28

Hi folks,

I'm new to the Linux and CentOS environments. My back ground is primarily the iseries/as400 environment.

In our company we have a Linux box running CentOS release 5.9(final) with kernel version 2.6.18-348.4.1.el5.

By running communication traces from the iseries we have determined that there is something from the Linux box that is doing excessive, ( millions of) directory and file scans on the iseries, through a mapped drive to the IFS on the iseries.

Our internal networking guys are saying they can't see anything on the Linux box that is doing any scans.

I would like to know if there is a report of some sort that we can run over a 24 hour periond to gather infomation on what might be doing the scan or if any knows of something we can check?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advace.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Scanning mapped drives

Post by TrevorH » 2013/11/26 15:10:09

I've merged your topics together since one contains slightly more information than other. Please do not post in multiple forums, pick the one that seems the most relevant and post there. Since I'm not sure this is particularly network related I've chosen to merge into the thread in the miscellaneous forum.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2013/11/26 15:35:35

man updatedb
Perhaps this is what is running.
Otherwise, run ps when the scanning is occurring.

Bcase

Post by Bcase » 2013/11/27 14:33:03

Thanks Gerald,

I will have our guys check. Looks like the man updatedb could be the culprit if it's running.

I appreciate your help.

Bart