DVD install from USB

General support questions including new installations
PeterMB

DVD install from USB

Post by PeterMB » 2008/03/15 11:27:08

Firstly apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum - I've searched but couldn't find anything relevant. Hopefully a solution (if there is one) will also be useful to others.

I'm trying to install CentOS to a Thinkpad (no CD drive), using a 4GB usb stick.

I downloaded the DVD iso, extracted it to the stick (with 7Zip) and made the stick bootable with syslinux -MA.

(I also made an installation of embedded DSL using the same method on a smaller usb stick for comparison - this boots fine).

After copying the contents of the /isolinux folder to the root of the usb, and copying isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg the stick will boot (on the initial menu screen there is a line saying "Unknown keyword in syslinux.cfg" though. I can't tell which line is causing this).

Continuing, I can select language and keyboard, then I get the prompt "What type of media contains the packages to be installed?".

Selecting the stick (/dev/sdb1) and hitting F2 I get the prompt to "Select the file which is your driver disk image".

Questions:

1) Am I mad to be trying this? (You don't need to answer that)

2) Should I have used isolinux instead of syslinux to add the boot record to the stick?

3) Is the "driver disk image" the CD ISO image, and would putting this on the usb stick instead (and selecting it) work?

Any other suggestions for getting this working most welcome - with 4GB sticks readily available at cheap prices now this has to be an option for a complete install (4GB also being the limit for FAT32).

Many thanks
Peter

PeterMB

Re: DVD install from USB

Post by PeterMB » 2008/03/17 13:58:48

If I copy the iso file to the stick (instead of extracting the files), then select the iso file after hitting F2 I get "Install terminates Abnormally . . . you may reboot your system safely"

Surely it must be possible to install from a usb stick? It's just storage media after all...

Many thanks
Peter

PeterMB

Post by PeterMB » 2008/03/20 08:12:21

Solved my own problem - use the iso file (I put it in a directory on the stick called ISO). You will still need to extract and copy the isolinux directory to the stick.

In the install select the stick (/dev/sdb1 in my case) but don't hit F2
Put the directory name (ISO) in the field below
OK

Hey presto! Anaconda starts and the installation proceeds, I now have a full CentOS 4 install.

To make a cleaner usb stick don't copy the isolinux folder to the root of the stick, just copy isolinux.cfg, rename it to syslinux.cfg, and add in the path /isolinux/ in front of all references to files (set the path in other words). The line that threw the 'Unknown keyword' error in syslinux.cfg was that containing 'localboot' - which isn't valid for syslinux, I just deleted the 'label local' section.

Hope this helps someone trying to do the same thing.

Cheers
Peter

ahonig

Post by ahonig » 2011/08/07 12:59:59

Sorry for my ignorance. Can you make a step-by-step for me, please?

foxb

DVD install from USB

Post by foxb » 2011/08/08 15:11:58

Maybe here:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-April/074475.html

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2011/08/08 23:16:05

Although I've only done it with the network install iso, I found unetbootin made it quite simple. Download unetbootin

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It's pretty much point and click and you're done. Boot from the USB, you can choose default--then, it takes quite awhile to get started, but once it does, it's a typical installation.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”