What keeps overwriting my CUPS config

General support questions including new installations
majun

Re: What keeps overwriting my CUPS config

Post by majun » 2011/03/30 07:58:45

No. In this case the legendary "I swear I didn't do anything" is actually true. Unless my wife suddenly took a liking to Linux administration, which is highly improbable (then again, so was Japan...). She's the only other person around and doesn't mess with it. She doesn't even know what CUPS or a webinterface is.

I think I know what the external cause for this is: it seems to be my HP Officejet 6110 printer. I've just switched it off and on again, and my cupsd.conf is once again modified:

[quote][root@gaylord cups]# diff cupsd.conf cupsd.conf.master
852a853
> # Lines below are automatically generated - DO NOT EDIT
859d859
BrowseAllow from 192.168.0.0/24
864a865
> Listen 192.168.0.13:631[/quote]

I don't think I'll be messing with this for now since that printer will have to go anyway. I've already bought the new one but didn't have time to set it up yet. It's also a USB printer though so it might behave similarly :-(

toracat
Forum Moderator

What keeps overwriting my CUPS config

Post by toracat » 2011/03/30 15:19:41

On my CentOS-4 print server, I turned Browsing Off years ago. You might want to try that and see if that eliminates the issue.

Change '#Browsing On' to 'Browsing Off'.

majun

Post by majun » 2011/05/29 10:26:51

I've tried turning it off but it didn't do anything. I don't actually think that CUPS is overwriting its own config, I blame something else.

So far I've managed to 'avoid' the issue by simply unplugging the USB printer and only plugging it in whenever I needed it. Since it was my color printer that I only needed maybe once a month it wasn't an issue, and my b/w laser printer was an old parallel port HP LaserJet 6P/6MP. Unfortunately that bugger caved in to time and extensive use and has decided it would be a great idea to stop working, so I've decided to replace both printers with a Brother DCP-7025 laser printer/scanner and I'm once again running into this issue. Plugging in a USB printer, any USB printer really, overwrites my cupsd.conf and replaces it with an unusable default file. I'd use the 7025's parallel port but that doesn't allow me to access the scanner, only the printer.

I also found out that immediately after plugging/unplugging and switching the printer on/off two processes start and cause 100% CPU load for a few seconds: printconf-tui and foomatic-configure. Could one of those be the culprit?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/05/29 15:20:58

Seems likely, but a google on [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+~overwrite+el4+%22cupsd.conf%22+printconf-tui+foomatic-configure&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]usb ~overwrite el4 "cupsd.conf" printconf-tui foomatic-configure[/url] didn't turn up anything definitive in the few results I looked at. Perhaps you are more persistent.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”