Backing up prior to update from 4.7 to 5.3

General support questions including new installations
nenenaiad

Post by nenenaiad » 2011/04/09 22:53:07

Hi,

I run a network currently using Centos 4.7.

I wish to upgrade to Centos 5.3 and have DVD.

I am assuming that the approach is get off what I need on the new system e.g. the clients access the server via Samba and I shall copy smb.conf. The home folders all need to be copied as well, and i can see where those are.

However I wish to copy over all the user accounts, but I am unsure what to copy and would be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction. I have by the way been using Webmin to administer the network, create new users, and I only mention this just in case it makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/04/10 11:18:06

First and foremost, do not install the obsolete and unsupported 5.3. The current release if 5.6 so please obtain current media as explained in the [url=http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2011-April/017282.html]release announcement[/url] linked from the [url=http://www.centos.org/]home page[/url].

Back up /home and /etc and any other user and application data and do a fresh install. If you only know how to create users with Webmin then I can't help with that. I would do it with either command-line or system-config-users. If the users all have home directories in the traditional /home then the following command will find the key information:[code]
grep /home /etc/passwd[/code]

For example, one of my accounts returned by the above shows:[code]pschaffn:x:8618:8618:Philip R. Schaffner:/home/pschaffn:/bin/bash[/code]
That shows the username, dummy password field (the real info being in /etc/shadow), UID:GID, real name, home directory, and shell. That information can be used to recreate the accounts. If you have custom groups set up for users then it gets somewhat more complicated.

I would create all the user accounts fresh, check usernames, UIDs, and GIDs for consistency, then restore the old home directories over the new.

For configuration files in /etc, such as smb.conf, it is recommended to compare the old and new versions and make appropriate changes, rather than just using the old ones.

It is possible but, not really recommended, to do an anaconda upgrade over the old install. If you want to try that approach then see the Wiki [url=http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide]HowTos/MigrationGuide[/url] article. Boot the installer and use "linux upgradeany".

nenenaiad

Re: Backing up prior to update from 4.7 to 5.3

Post by nenenaiad » 2011/04/10 12:54:19

Hi Phil,

Much appreciated. I have brought the 4.7 Server home to do the changeover during a three week holiday, and I shall take all your advice after I have set up the server here and got off the information as you suggest.

I shall download 5.6 and subsequently let you know here how I get on.

As a matter of information I use the server with five classes of about 30 students each. They login via Samba on XP machines.

Regards

Dave

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”