Is there a Fedora yum --skip-broken option that exists for Centos 4.8?

Issues related to software problems
jsmith1981

Is there a Fedora yum --skip-broken option that exists for Centos 4.8?

Postby jsmith1981 » 2010/03/08 11:18:48

I have decided to change from Fedora to Centos, but I can only run Centos 4.8 (not the new 5 as it where).

My systems just too slow.

What I have run into problems is realising that version 4.8, only installed php 4, not what I wanted as allot of my works in php5, ah anyways.

I found this command:

yum --enablerepo=centosplus install

This upgraded with what ever program I wanted to install, was happy with that with the update command of yum.

But I want to install some of the other features of php and I get this annoying error:

Error: Missing Dependency: php = 4.3.9-3.29 is needed by package php-domxml

Is there any means of getting around this by any chance? I tried --skip-broken but this isnt a valid option in Centos, any help by a means of getting around this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy.

PS I have to say Centos does seem a better option than using Fedora, looking forward to using it!

I could learn even more about Linux by using this great distro, just a matter of me getting used to some of the command differences.

I dont even mind not using yum, which ever is better in your opinion.

toracat
Forum Moderator

Is there a Fedora yum --skip-broken option that exists for C

Postby toracat » 2010/03/08 16:34:56

When using the centosplus repository, please make sure you have a thorough reading of these CentOS wiki articles:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResour ... CentOSPlus

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResour ... OSWebStack

jsmith1981

Re: Is there a Fedora yum --skip-broken option that exists for Centos 4.8?

Postby jsmith1981 » 2010/03/09 09:23:22

Thats cool.

Will have a thorough read of that, to be honest its probably best for my own personal learning of how CentOS really works.

Hasnt done me any harm with working with Fedora.

Just as a future reference, would there be any problems in installing a new python version on CentOS? I know this might be a broad question but, really fancied using v3 rather than v2, thats installed in CentOS 4.8.

Just due to my systems capabilities CentOS 4.8 works best for my hardware.

Thanks in advance again,
Jeremy.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Is there a Fedora yum --skip-broken option that exists for Centos 4.8?

Postby pschaff » 2010/03/09 15:45:29

jsmith1981 wrote:
Just as a future reference, would there be any problems in installing a new python version on CentOS?

Yes. That is likely to be a problem. Even for CentOS-5

Code: Select all

# rpm -q python
python-2.4.3-27.el5

I know this might be a broad question but, really fancied using v3 rather than v2, thats installed in CentOS 4.8.

FAQ#20. Where can I get the latest version of XyZ.rpm for CentOS? I cannot find it anywhere.

Just due to my systems capabilities CentOS 4.8 works best for my hardware.

Perhaps you might want to try CentOS 5 with a lighter weight GUI such as XFCE-4.4 - available via yum groupinstall from [extras], or xdm.