DVD isos fail on my Gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard

Issues related to hardware problems
duvidel

DVD isos fail on my Gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard

Post by duvidel » 2005/03/20 02:19:04

Dear Friends,
I am at a loss. I can dual boot Fedora Core 2 (From the Dummies book dvd iso) with XP SP2 using Grub. I can't use Fedora 3 or 4, and a cousin told me to try CENTOS 4, with hopes that it would respond. No dice on that either. I get to "boot from cd" but the media is ignored and it goes right to Grub, so I thought it had something to do with the board. I wrote to Gigabyte, and am awaiting their response. Also, I am trying the Centos 4 cd download, and hope that they will be recognized, as well as the dvds from Suse and Mandrake to see if they will respond at all. I know it has something to do with PXE booting, but if you know of any Linux compatibility issues with this type of board, please holler. I even removed a Radeon 7000 video card and bought a Verto Nvidia GE4Force MX 4000 video card to use with Linux , and can't see investing more time and money.

Most Sincerely and Respectfully Yours,
David M. Schwartz
dmschwartz210@yahoo.com

bodgit

Re: DVD isos fail on my Gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard

Post by bodgit » 2005/03/20 15:28:18

[quote]
No dice on that either. I get to "boot from cd" but the media is ignored and it goes right to Grub, so I thought it had something to do with the board.
[/quote]

Provided the boot order is correct, I would suggest the DVD drive doesn't like the media, rather than any fault with the motherboard. When the machine is booted in Fedora Core 2, can you mount and read that CentOS DVD? I've had this a few times myself with older machines and CD-R's, the combination of the machine that burnt the disc, and the machine reading it just doesn't work, no idea why.

[quote]
I know it has something to do with PXE booting, but if you know of any Linux compatibility issues with this type of board, please holler. I even removed a Radeon 7000 video card and bought a Verto Nvidia GE4Force MX 4000 video card to use with Linux , and can't see investing more time and money.
[/quote]

PXE is used only if you are booting your machine from the network. Unless you are planning to make use of accelerated 3D graphics, a Radeon 7000 will, and does work fine, I popped a cheap one in a machine just to give it a video output and I've had no problems.

Matt

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”