DPT RAID Controller problem

Issues related to hardware problems
gavin

DPT RAID Controller problem

Post by gavin » 2005/03/21 09:55:11

2 servers, with identical hardware (including DPT PM2654U2 SmartRAID controller, and a bunch of 18.2 SCSI disks). CentOS 3 works fine on one, with RAID arrays set up through the DPT BIOS (detected as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb). I can't get CentOS 4 to work on the other one. With a RAID5 array configured in the DPT BIOS, CentOS 4 installer detects a hard drive on "i2o/hda" which is the correct size for the RAID array, and is quite happy to install onto it. Once I reboot however, I never get a Grub screen. After the motherboard BIOS, and the 2 SCSI BIOS'es, I just get a blinking cursor in the top left corner which never goes away. The same happens even without the BIOS RAID array, and treating the disks as separate disks.

Are there any known issues with DPT I2O controllers in CentOS 4, or any driver changes between CentOS 3 and 4 such as the AMI driver change mentioned elsewhere in this forum? From what I can gather, the new I2O stuff from http://i2o.shadowconnect.com should be in the CentOS 4 kernel but it doesn't seem to work (at least not with this specific controller).

gavin

Re: DPT RAID Controller problem

Post by gavin » 2005/03/21 11:28:40

OK, so it seems I don't have a problem with CentOS at all (probably) since the install recognises the RAID array fine. It appears what I actually have is the issue with GRUB that is addressed [url=http://i2o.shadowconnect.com/patches/grub-0.94-i2o.patch]here[/url]. Should have read the WHOLE of the i2o site before posting.

I don't like Mondays.

Next question is, whats the easiest way to get this fix onto a CentOS 4 system? I'm guessing that if I get hold of the SRPM used by CentOS for GRUB, and include this patch, I can make a custom RPM that I can install after the main installation is complete but before rebooting? Failing that, could I do it if I reboot from the CD is rescue mode after the install?

EDIT: I see the patch is already included in the version of GRUB shipped with CentOS 4. Now I give in, how can I get my DTP controller to work? :-(

stageman

Post by stageman » 2005/03/27 01:02:13

Gavin,

I've got a similar problem with an Adaptec 2110S RAID controller. My problem is that the installer won't detect the RAID array. (RAID1) The best information that I can figure out is that for some reason the installer isn't loading the i2o_scsi driver, just the i2o_core and i2o_block drivers. If I get it working, I'll post back here.

If anyone else has a working CentOS4 install with an Adaptec SCSI RAID controller, please let us know what you did...

Thanks, StageMan

gavin

Post by gavin » 2005/04/04 14:28:30

I've now fixed this problem, thanks mostly to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list.cgi?buglist=149184

Although the hardware support is there (allowing me to install in the first place), and the GRUB patch is already included in CentOS, I hadn't taken the step mentioned in there of booting in rescue mode and re-installing GRUB manually (rather than letting anaconda do it). Now I've done that, it boots a treat, and I guess I just have to keep an eye out for any GRUB updates to make sure they don't hose it again.

I also haven't tried just reinstalling grub from tty2 after anaconda has finished, which would mean one less reboot (not exactly a speedy thing to do on an old P3/650 with SCSI). This would make the process a little smoother, I think.

Hope this helps anyone who is having similar problems.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”