IBM X226 SCSI Serveraid-7e (Adaptec Hostraid)

Issues related to hardware problems
richard

Post by richard » 2005/04/06 15:20:32

I recently install the CentOS 4 on my X226 box with hostraid enabled but the problem is the system is only ble to load AIC79xx driver which cause Disk Druid can see two scsi HD instead of one Disk Array. I check the IBM site and the cds come with the x226 which only provide the driver for rhel3.
Therefore, I install the CentOS3.1 and try the drivers for rhel3 and rhel3 qu1 but no luck. Finally I went to the Adaptec website download the old driver for redhat 9.0 and after I installed the redhat 9 and load the driver. It works. I really want to use CentOS4 or CentOS3.x instead of RedHat9 because this machine has two xeon 3.0GHz cpu and I kind of believe the CentOS has better performance than Redhat9. I am wondering if any body have the successful experience install CentOS4 on IBM X226 or some machine with hostraid enabled. Thank you for any help.

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2005/04/07 09:50:15

Sorry, but it seems it's not possible at this time ..... :-(
I've checked the IBM website, and i found only informations to setup RHEL 3 (update 3 !) with this ServeRAID 7e adapter :
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-55927#46
I'll need to install a x206 server (with ServeRAID 7t), and that'll be the same problem : no support from IBM for RHEL 4 yet !
Either you install CentOS 3 on your server or you can install CentOS 4 on a older PCI ServeRAID (4l, etc ....) that use the standard included ips module ....

richard

Re: IBM X226 SCSI Serveraid-7e (Adaptec Hostraid)

Post by richard » 2005/04/07 11:24:52

Thank you for your reply and the strange thing is this I did install the CentOS3.1 and try to load the driver provided by cd's for RHEL3 and RHEL3 QU1 but none of them worked. It seems there is a slight difference between CentOS3.1 and RHEL3 QU1. I cant figure it out and I even go down to check the driver floppy disk to see if there is something I can tweak but no luck. Actually when I put in the floppy disk while installing the CentOS, the system can load the Adaptec A320 Raid driver from disk but when I specify to use it, the system does not recognize this hardware very strange.
About your solution2, there is a little difficulty because the Serveradi-7e is on-board therefore it is very difficult to convience my friend to buy another PCI Raid card.
In you situation, I think it is the same because "The xSeries 206 features exclusive integrated ServeRAID™-7e which enables RAID-0 and 1 without additional adapters." quoted from IBM WebSite. If it comes with the machine, of course people wanna use it instead of buying another raid card. I wish you good luck and if you have any progress please share with everybody:) So far, I only made it work on RedHat 9. Thank you again...

richard

Post by richard » 2005/04/08 09:16:39

Finally, I install the RedHat AS3 on this X226 and install the hostraid driver and it works! Then, I try to install CentOS3.1 again and use the same driver and the one for AS3QU1. Both of them failed. After all the work I done, I think the conclusion is that while install the Linux with linux dd, the Adaptec driver is able to distinguish between RedHat AS and CentOS. I check the all files in the driver disk except the C object file but there is no clue. If any of you know where I can tweak it, please share with us. I really wish I can use CentOS instead of AS. Also, if there is no way to get around, it means probably all the Adaptec drivers only works on RedHat AS, not CentOS. Hope any expertist can share some tips. Thank you.

Minuteman

Post by Minuteman » 2005/05/18 17:51:30

There is no solution for the Adaptec HostRAID chips, there is NO open source driver.

What people usually do is:
- Buy a real RAID controller (a ServeRAID 7-k upgrade module should work fine)
- Use the software RAID in linux

That's the way things work at Adaptec...

For the ServeRAID 7-k I wrote directly at adaptec, to the guy maintaning the driver INCLUDED in the 2.6 kernel and got this answer:
Q: I would like to know if this driver supports the IBM ServeRAID 7k (for xSeries 346 servers)?
R: As far as ServeRAID, the ips driver in the 2.6 kernel definitelysupports the 7K adapter.

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2005/05/26 06:23:57

I've found this on the Adaptec website :
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FOperating+System%2FLinux&filekey=aacraid-dkms-1.1.5-2400.tgz

So it seems possible now to build a module (and also a driver disk !) for Adaptec SCSI Raid adapter ...
The problem is that i've no real idea about the chipset used on the ServeRAID 7e ...
The best is maybe to give it a try, but i've no such machine available to simulate a test ...
Anyway, you have to understand that such Adaptec Raid solutions are Software solutions and not real hardware ones (like using the standard ips module ....).

miclaro

Post by miclaro » 2005/08/05 22:15:39

I have the same problem in another thread: http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1486&forum=29
with another card, looking at the logs, it seems the kernel versions of centos and RHEL4 are different, and so the driver don't load.

it's my guess...

in adaptec site there are some old driver sources (2.xx, the newer one is 3.xxx) but i don't know how to compile them in kernel 2.6

if someone know how to build or has the driver disk please tell me.

thanks.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”