USB Memory stick problem

Issues related to hardware problems
bill

USB Memory stick problem

Post by bill » 2005/06/21 17:09:59

I have a system running Centos 4 that is having problems accessing the USB key. The first time (after bootup) that the key is used, every works as expected - the icon for the key appears on the desktop and the key is accessed just like a disk drive. I then umount the disk using the "right click" and unmount command. The next time the USB key is installed, it is not automatically mounted. If I reboot the system, every returns back to normal for one more cycle. I have tried two different USB keys and both have the same issue.

This is pretty much a default install although I have added Scribus and a few other applications. Has anyone else experienced this issue??? I have several systems at another site that I plan to test also but can't remember to bring the USB key with me.

I think I could make the keys mount manually but I have several linux newbies that are interested in trying it out. I want thinks to work at their best. Something like this would just turn them agains linux and I can't afford the alternatives.

thanks!!!

Ebbrell

Re: USB Memory stick problem

Post by Ebbrell » 2005/07/03 17:55:13

I know this does not help you but I am using 4.1 64bit CentOS with a Corsair Flash Voyager 1GB key and it works perfectly.
Have you had USB problems previously with the M/B? the reason I ask is that in the past I have had M/B's with very weak signals on the USB ports.

bill

Post by bill » 2005/07/18 17:04:32

I loaded Centos 4.1 on a new computer and experienced the same issue. Both systems are no-name, built by me, and use Gigabyte motherboards. The unit with 4.1 on it has a 7V600P-RZ motherboard with a Barton Core 2900+ processor. This board uses the VIA KT600 chipset.

My other motherboard uses the Nvita Gforce chipset (not sure which version but will check). It is also a Socket A motherboard.

I would assume that the USB systems are different between the two motherboards?? Anyway, is there some configuration that I need to check? This was a clean install of 4.1 with everything.

How can I manually mount the USB key?? I'll check to see if that works.

theorist

USB Memory stick problem

Post by theorist » 2005/07/19 08:33:24

[quote]
How can I manually mount the USB key?? I'll check to see if that works.[/quote]

(1) You need to be root:
su -

(2) Make sure the appropriate module is loaded into the kernel
modprobe usb_storage

(3) Insert the USB key and see if the device is recognized:
dmesg

You should see something like
SCSI device sde: 1988608 512-byte hdwr sectors (1018 MB)
sde: Write Protect is off
sde: Mode Sense: 00 23 00 00
sde: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sde: 1988608 512-byte hdwr sectors (1018 MB)
sde: Write Protect is off
sde: Mode Sense: 00 23 00 00
sde: assuming drive cache: write through
sde: sde1

In this case it found the device (a 1GB disk) on /dev/sde and the mountable partition is /dev/sde1.

(4) Create a mount point:
mkdir /tmp/myusbkey

(5) Mount the device:
mount -t vfat /dev/sde1 /tmp/myusbkey

The auto detect and mount system usually creates a mount point on /media (something like /media/usbdisk).

(6) You can umount the device and make it safe to remove:
umount /tmp/myusbkey

EucD

Post by EucD » 2005/07/21 15:00:31

I had the same problem on a Dell Pe1800 server running Centos 4.1 X86_64. It also had the same problem with mounting CD-ROMs.

The culprit seems to be the gam_server in gamin package. Check the gamin package on your system, Centos 4.1 is gamin-0.0.17-4. To test if it is, plug in a removable media, umount, then plug in again. If the icon of the media does not show up on the desktop, then kill the process gam_server. The process will spawn itself again; however, the icon of the media should show up on the desktop. You have to kill the process every time you umount-then-mount media. The gam_server used to be a problem in FC and RHEL.

Solution: download the latest gamin package and compile. It did not work for me.
I downloaded the rpm package for the FC3. gamin-0.1.1-1.FC3.[architecture].rpm and install. Note: my [architecture] is:X86_64.

This solved the problem for me; and hopefully yours too.

It seems that there is a bug in gamin package [gamin-0.0.17-4] that comes with Centos 4.1. Right?

Ebbrell

Post by Ebbrell » 2005/07/22 21:48:11

[quote]
Ebbrell wrote:
I know this does not help you but I am using 4.1 64bit CentOS with a Corsair Flash Voyager 1GB key and it works perfectly.
Have you had USB problems previously with the M/B? the reason I ask is that in the past I have had M/B's with very weak signals on the USB ports.[/quote]
Further to my reply above I have installed 4.1 32bit CentOS and my Corsair 1GB key works perfectly with this OS as well, in fact, the memory key is recognised the moment it is plugged in, much quicker recognition than when used with Windows.

The 64bit version of CentOS is overall noticeably more immediate than the 32bit version :-)

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”