Large memory support?

Issues related to hardware problems
jpleyc

Large memory support?

Post by jpleyc » 2005/07/09 02:03:44

Hello,

I just installed Centos 4.1 x86_64 onto a dual Opteron system. It contains 2 Opteron 242 CPUs, 6GB RAM, on an MSI K8D Master F board. The installation went through OK, but when I tried to boot the machine after the install, it would crash shortly after grub selects the kernel to load. I think that's where it's crashing, as I don't get to see much on the screen before the machine gets put into the POST cycle again. It will keep doing this forever if I let it.

If I remove 2 of the DIMMs, to leave the system with 4GB RAM, it boots fine. Since I've never ran this board with more than 4GB of RAM, I might suspect that the board is not handling the 6GB RAM properly. However, its POST shows that it checked all 6GB OK. MSI says that it should be able to handle 6 2GB DIMMs, for a total of 12GB of system RAM. I thought perhaps that the x86_64 version of the OS and kernel should be able to deal with that much RAM. Is there something special I have to do to get this configuration to boot?

thanks for any assistance you can provide.

eyc

hughesjr
Site Admin

Large memory support?

Post by hughesjr » 2005/07/14 01:35:55

The SMP kernel (which is what you should have had automatically installed) supports more that 6GB of RAM.

I don't see anything releated on the RH bugzilla.

Try adding [b]acpi=ht[/b] at the end of the kernel line ... and if possible, paste the output of dmesg right after a boot up.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”