Can't access share on new CentOS install

Issues related to configuring your network
marsom

Post by marsom » 2007/10/11 17:56:09

Just did a new installof CentOS 4.5 on a box where the HD had died. I have another CentOS box with a very similar installation. Both are on the same LAN with a bunch of XP machines, both have samba and lisa running.

On the older box (call it alpha) everything's fine. I can go to an XP machine and see it under Network Places, can see my home directory and browse it, copy files in either direction, etc. On the newer installation (call it beta) I can see my home directory from the XP machines, but if I try to open it, I just get Access Denied and a note about a password error. As far as I can see the samba configurations are almost identical on alpha and beta. A summary:

Directory: /home/myuser
Permissions: read/write
Description: myuser

Access: Allow access to everyone
Samba Users: myuser

Preferences/Server Settings:

Workgroup: (blank) * see below
Description: Samba Server
Authentication mode: SHARE
Guest Account: no guest account

* Alpha shows workgroup: workgroup, but on beta I can't get this to stick. I've set it several times (both as root and as myuser by entering the root p/w) using the GUI and each time I go back and check it's blank again. I have a sneaking feeling that this is the issue, but why won't it stick? Failing that, can anyone tell me just what that GUI entry sets in smb.conf (or wherever)? I could always put it in manually, I guess.

If anyone can think of anything else that may be causing my problem, I'd appreciate comments too. It's so darned frustrating; alpha set up so easily I barely noticed what I was doing, but beta is like pulling teeth; I've been fighting with minor issues for over a week now and my frustration level has reached overload!

Marsom

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2007/10/11 18:30:14

edit /etc/samba/smb.conf
service smb restart

marsom

Re: Can't access share on new CentOS install

Post by marsom » 2007/10/11 20:35:16

Thanks, I can do that edit, except that I don't know where to put the "workgroup" entry or what the format is. Any idea about that?

Marsom

gerald_clark

Re: Can't access share on new CentOS install

Post by gerald_clark » 2007/10/11 20:42:56

Print the smb.conf from the one that works, and compare them.

marsom

Found something, but doesn't work.

Post by marsom » 2007/10/12 04:10:58

Thanks. Found a difference: the one that works (alpha) has workgroup=workgroup in it, the other (beta) did not. So I added the line and restarted samba. Sadly, it still doesn't work. I must be missing something, but after about 10 days of pulling teeth to get CentOS working I'm quite discouraged.

Anything else you know of that would cause an Access Denied error when I try to browse the home directory from an XP box? I remember solving problems like this on my first CentOS install, in that case the problem was with the XP boxes not having passwords, but they do now and the same XP boxes that work with alpha don't work with beta, so I guess the problem is with my configuration of CentOS on beta. I suppose I'll waste another 5 minutes and reboot both machines, ya never know, I might get lucky.

I'll keep trying, I suppose. I really don't FEEL like nuking beta and installing XP on it, I don't NEED another XP box (grin).

Marsom

gerald_clark

Re: Found something, but doesn't work.

Post by gerald_clark » 2007/10/12 13:23:38

Did you create a linux account for the user?
Did you use smbpasswd to set the password?

marsom

Re: Found something, but doesn't work.

Post by marsom » 2007/10/12 16:05:43

No, I didn't do either of those things. But then, I didn't do either of them on alpha either, and it works fine. I don't quite understand why two installations should end up working differently. Certainly when I access alpha from an XP box I don't need to enter a username or password. Indeed, beta doesn't ASK for such things, I simply get an Access Denied message.

All the XP boxes have different user IDs and passwords, and I don't even know what they are (they're set to auto login since I'm the only person with physical access). There has to be something very simple I'm missing, but I've no idea what it is. When I set up beta previously (a few months back, before the HD died) I didn't have any problems like this at all; it worked like a charm.

Anyway, look, thanks for your attention and suggestions, but so far nothing "fits". I'll keep plugging away for a little while longer before I reformat and install XP. I'd really like to learn more about CentOS, though, which is why I did this install in the first place. Sadly, my days of passionate interest in operating systems only lasted about 30 years, and I'm kinda jaded now. I just want things to work, and various flavours of Linux have failed rather badly in that respect.

Thanks,

Marsom

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”