Issue with changing the hostname

Issues related to configuring your network
billgates

Post by billgates » 2007/11/03 00:29:30

Hi everyone,

I have installed CentOS 4.5 as software RAID1. The install was smooth as butter, I've checked the status of the raid and all raid devices are active.
I intend to use this server as a mail server, so I went about changing the hostname from localhost to mail.mydomain.com and out of nowhere my beautiful server went nuts. I cannot open any programs at all (firefox, terminal window, etc) the swirly thing just sits there and swirls until the program gives up trying to open. Now I think to myself... reboot and all will be well... not quite now I get an error that says mail.mydomain.com cannot be found and I get an option to cancel login or try anyway. So I try anyway, still no programs, but I was lucky enough to get the network gui to open and promptly changed the hostname back to localhost and then restarted the network services, now everything is fine.

I checked system mail and I have several messages from mdadm telling me of two raid devices that experienced degradation, the devices contained the boot partition and the / partition. After changing the hostname back to localhost the messages have stopped and the raid reports all devices as active.

So my question is, why can't I change my hostname?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
If you need more info from me please let me know and I'll do my best to provide it.

Bill Gates

toracat
Forum Moderator

Re: Issue with changing the hostname

Post by toracat » 2007/11/03 01:53:41

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network and reboot.

(Edit /etc/hosts as well)

billgates

Post by billgates » 2007/11/03 06:24:47

My RAID was degraded, I had to resync two of my RAID devices :)

Now that that is done do you think I can safely change my hostname with your suggestion of editing those 2 files?

billgates

Post by billgates » 2007/11/03 06:43:32

Yes indeed sir, you are correct... after my degraded raid issue, I was able to change my host name by editing the 2 files you suggested.

Thanks for your help :)

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2007/11/03 20:50:40

[quote]
billgates wrote:
Yes indeed sir ...[/quote]
Ouch, *she* will not appreciate .... :-D

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”