Ping 100% packet loss but remotely connected via SSH

Issues related to configuring your network
DanielJay

Ping 100% packet loss but remotely connected via SSH

Post by DanielJay » 2008/10/26 20:28:47

I have been notified of my server having issues with email being able to be sent or received on my server. After doing a little bit of digging around I have found that I cannot do a yum update(Cent OS 4.7) and it gives me:
[code]Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: update
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: update[/code]

I then did a yum clean all and tried it again with no luck.

I then tried to ping centos.org to see if I could connect to the servers. It shows that the host cannot be found. If I try to ping the IP it shows 100% packet loss.

I am remotely connected to the server via SSH and am able to browse the websites on the server. However, no email seems to be functioning and I cannot ping out.

I am currently running APF on the machine and the last entry in the deny was from over 1 month ago. I have gone through /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, /etc/resolve.cfg, and /etc/hosts to see if there are any network configuration problems. All of my IP's and settings look correct.

Any ideas of where to go/look next?

*I have also did a gracefull server reboot on the server using cPanel/WHM. First time the server has been restarted in 358 days.

DanielJay

Re: Ping 100% packet loss but remotely connected via SSH

Post by DanielJay » 2008/10/26 22:38:10

This has been resolved. Apparently the nameserver IP addresses were changed without knowing. Once I called my provider to confirm what I had was correct or not and changed my nameservers everything started working again.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Re: Ping 100% packet loss but remotely connected via SSH

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/10/26 23:58:05

Thank you for reporting back that the issue has been resolved. It is appreciated.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”