FreeNX server?

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
jazzcat

FreeNX server?

Post by jazzcat » 2005/03/17 15:54:29

Has anyone been able to get FreeNX server working on CentOS4? Using these instructions:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

I had FreeNX working on CentOS3. On 4, when trying to install those RPM's, I got dependency issues (for XFree86-tools and XFree86) since CentOS4 uses XOrg instead. So I install with --nodeps option.

On the client side, it always says that the host has moved, even though I've copied over the new host key.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--JC

arrfab
Site Admin

FreeNX server?

Post by arrfab » 2005/03/18 11:56:29

I had no time to test the FreeNX package on CentOS, but your dependencies problems were related to the fact that you wanted to use RPMS build for FC1 or older Redhat (8,9 or RHEL3) that used Xfree86 ...
If you have a look on the page you referred, you'll see that this procedure was updated to use newly created RPMS for FC2 or FC3 that use Xorg server (like RHEL 4 and so CentOS 4) ....
Test with the newest RPMS and let us know the result ...

jazzcat

Re: FreeNX server?

Post by jazzcat » 2005/03/18 15:52:48

I was using the updated packages:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/freenx-0.3.0-0.rh.0.noarch.rpm
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/nx-1.4.0-0.rh.4.i386.rpm

Are there packages updated beyond that?

Thanks,
jc

jazzcat

Post by jazzcat » 2005/03/18 18:48:05

OK, I tried again with the Fedora Core packages. This time, no dependency errors, but it still doesn't work... I get the "Warning, remote host identification has changed" error. The keys in

c:\program files\nx client for windows\share\.ssh\client.id_dsa.key

and

/var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key

are identical.

Any ideas?

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2005/03/18 19:03:52

Is the FreeNx server located on the same machine it was before (a CentOS 3, if i understand well)?
If so, have you restored your /etc/ssh directory (containing your previous ssh_host_key, ssh_host_dsa_key and ssh_host_rsa_key files) ?
Don't forget that NX client use SSH to connect to your Freenx box, so if you change your Freenx server ssh config, your NX Client will refuse to connect because he'll think the connection is spoofed ....

jazzcat

Post by jazzcat » 2005/03/18 20:43:22

Hmmm.... I'd hope that after uninstalling and reinstalling the NX client, the ssh host information would be erased. But to answer your question, no, I did not save/restore the old SSHd information. So you're saying that the client.id_dsa.key file is [i]not[/i] the only thing that has to be updated?

I'll try to uninstall and reinstall the NX client again, and find and wipe out any registry entries.

(Update)

Ok, that worked! Now I'm NX'ing to my CentOS4 box.

Now all I need is a compatible XEN kernel and I'll be all set

(Another update)

Hmm! The NX Client for windows puts some temp files in your "home" directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua.Kramer\.nx\tmp

These files cannot be deleted, even if NX has been uninstalled, you are an administrator on the box and you have full control of them! I think the connection keys/info is stored here, because when I create a new Windows user, install NX as that user, everything works fine, but when I try to connect with my primary user, it doesn't work.

Anyone know anything about NX client for windows?

(Last update)

If you use regular SSH stuff and already have a .ssh directory under your "Documents and Settings" directory, then be aware that NXClient will add its ssh machine keys to the known_hosts file under the .ssh directory! I got rid of this machine key and now everything works.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”