Install IMAP After Upgrade/Goofups

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
thadco

Post by thadco » 2005/04/13 02:27:52

Hello all,

I just upgraded a RH9 server via CD using the "linux upgradeany" trick at boot. Afterwards, most things worked just fine except my IMAP & POP3 daemons. So getting creative, I removed the IMAP RPM with -e.

After noticing that there was no IMAP RPM to be found (Doh!), I went into the XServer Package Management application (Staart Button > SystemSettings > Add/Remove Applications) and found that the IMAP/POP packages do not show as installed. So I went ahead and clicked "Update" and got the following error:

Packages Not Found

Unlocatable package

libkdb5.so.4
krb5-libs
krb5-libs

I'm not sure how to proceed. If anyone has any instructions, please try to make them rather specific, as I'm at that stage where I know how to get into lots of trouble with little idea how to fix things. :-D

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2005/04/13 08:36:42

If your server was running Redhat 9.0, you probably used UW-Imap as IMAP/Pop3 daemon.
Note that UW-Imap is not included anymore in any Redhat distro (RHEL or Fedora Core).
Instead you have (and it's definitively a good idea) to use Dovecot as IMAP/Pop3 daemon.
Install Dovecot with yum : yum install dovecot
Edit your /etc/dovecot.conf file to reflect where your mailboxes (in mbox format) are :
default_mail_env = mbox:~/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u

Don't forget also that Dovecot uses ~/.subscriptions files instead of ~/.mailboxlist for folders subscriptions.
So the following command line should rename all these files for all your users :

for i in `ls /home/`;do mv /home/$i/.mailboxlist /home/$i/.subscriptions;done

And last but not least, don't forget to declare (in /etc/dovecot.conf)which protocols Dovecat will handle ( protocols = imap imaps po3 )

After that, you should be able to read your mails (of course after issuing chkconfig dovecot on && service dovecot start :-D)

Hope this helps you to migrate to dovecot.
For mbox to maildir migration, that's another story ..... :-D

thadco

Re: Install IMAP After Upgrade/Goofups

Post by thadco » 2005/04/13 09:12:30

Thank you so much arrfab!

It worked flawlessly and thanks to your detailed instructions it only took me about two minutes to accomplish.

Best regards,

Thad

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2005/04/13 09:54:40

No problemo .... I'm here to serve .... :-D

klemmerj

Post by klemmerj » 2005/07/14 12:18:27

I have been having the same dovecot/imap problems. I followed the steps outlined in the message above but still something is unhappy. I'm not really sure that the problem is with dovecot, actually. What I have is a number of users with user accounts on the system who read mail through imap. Most of the users are using some form of thunderbird/mozilla mail. I've also checked the dovedot docs and it looks like I set things up right. The error I'm getting is a pop-up alert box that says, "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Invalid mask." This pops up twice then I get into my INBOX. However, I can not subscribe to any of my folders because it will not list any available from the server. I know they are still there 'cause when I ssh in and read mail I can see and read them. Mail is in mbox format for all users. Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

kike164

Post by kike164 » 2009/02/16 17:50:39

arrfab thanks a lot, your information helped me, ;)

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”