Server Management Tools

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
HunkyBill

Server Management Tools

Post by HunkyBill » 2006/03/21 16:17:11

Hi,

I was hoping someone could assist me with my Dell PowerEdge servers (1850's, 2850's)... I have been following the Dell mailing lists and there is a lot of talk about server management tools working (or NOT)... and I am looking to know more. I have seen the package OMSA 4.5 tossed about a lot, and understand that it in fact works perfectly well on these machines with CentOS 4.2. How would I install that using yum? Secondly, there seems to be a lot of problems with drivers and the openIPMI packages. Is this in fact part of OMSA? If I can install openIPMI using yum, is there a risk that the drivers may corrupt my machine?

Does anyone have a simple recipe for using the Cent OS, RHEL 4 server management tools, or a pointer to a concise, well written explanation of how to use them effectively?

Thanks!

Dave

HunkyBill

Re: Server Management Tools

Post by HunkyBill » 2006/03/28 01:46:08

Ok... so not one reply with help here :-P ... no problem... I just did it myself. My PE servers are now running CentOS 4.3 and the Dell OMSA is working fine, along with IPMI. I can remotely view all my tempertures, voltages and other neat variables and control and flag problems remotely, have the BMC working, so even if the servers get bitched... I can remotely power cycle them and or have SNMP messages sent my way. Yay..

Nice stuff.. simply had to add a Dell link to my yum.conf and carefully install the required packages. I guess that's why no one had any comments to help me out, since setting up the server management is so darned easy. Sheesh, to think that caused me a problem in the first place. Can't wait till my server sends me an email telling me "I'm Hungry.... Feeeeeed meeeeeee!"...

Right on CentOS... good stuff this RHEL is...

sven

Post by sven » 2006/03/29 10:21:27

Hi HunkyBill,
I do not think or believe that you haven't got an answer because of the "easyness". Furthermore I think, that noone who had read your posting is using management software from DELL. These who use DELL servers and possibly management tools perhaps have not read your posting.
For myself, I use Compaq servers without management software and I do "management by ssh" only. If there will be an likely easy way to do the same thing like yours, I'm interested too. ;) But for my private use it is not necessary to buy expensive propriatary management software.

foobar47

Post by foobar47 » 2006/03/29 11:34:08

[quote]
sven wrote:
But for my private use it is not necessary to buy expensive propriatary management software.[/quote]
OpenManage is availbale for free...
You can have a look here :
http://linux.dell.com/monitoring.shtml

Compaq have their own package too... propriatary too... insight manager , available for free too ... for window *nix...

sven

Post by sven » 2006/03/29 12:46:50

Insight Manager.
Ok, great, I'll have a look. For now, I use three ProLiants at home 8) , one with a complete Remote Insight Lights Out Edition (RILOE) Card out of my firefox browser.
Unfortunately my second RILOE doesn't have neighter the mouse/keyboard adapter cable nor the internal power cable and power adaptor :( , so it is pretty useless at the moment and the oldest ProLiant is completely out of any RILOE equipment.

HunkyBill

Post by HunkyBill » 2006/03/31 15:03:41

Hi,

[quote]
sven wrote:
For myself, I use Compaq servers without management software and I do "management by ssh" only. If there will be an likely easy way to do the same thing like yours, I'm interested too. ;) But for my private use it is not necessary to buy expensive propriatary management software.[/quote]

I was once reliant on management by ssh too. And then, my super powerful RAID disk controller had trouble writing to the disks, and it locked itself up. So, any and all basic processing stopped working, and the file system became "READ-ONLY". Sure, I could login by SSH, but I could not view any important files, change anything, or even run tools like dmesg, du, top,etc...

Trying shutdown -r was a no go, it replied "Bus Error". So my management by SSH philosphy was defeated and I had to make a physical trip to my local colocation facility to reboot. Of course, since the server locked up on a Friday evening, it was down for an entire weekend. Not fun.

When I learned that the server had a propriertary management system in place where even in the event of a complete system hang, I could still login and power cycle, I became excited, and as I pointed out, I learned how to take advantage of the tools. Admittedly it seems easy in hindsight. Only by getting kicked in the head did I learn how to duck....

Now I am more confident in my ability to keep this server(s) going, so I can concentrate on the other aspects of life that are more important to me!!

Thanks for your note...

mattm

Post by mattm » 2006/09/26 18:27:53

I've just found out about this application and am eager to use it. I manage many Dell servers that my company primarily purchases second hand. I can't find a shred of solid documentation on Dell's site about this. There are no clear concise User/Admin guides that exdplain this product. I did get the 5.x version isntalled via YUM as someone mentioned above, but I ahve no idea what port to login to, to view the server stats.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

mattm

Post by mattm » 2006/09/26 19:03:35

running net-stat I was able to see that it was using port 1311. I was able to login to the GUI panel but it seems very bare. I don't see any performance monitoring screens for things like CPU temp's, Fan speeds, Harddrive health, etc.

Any idea how to enable these additional features?

gingerade

Post by gingerade » 2007/05/27 22:07:14

Creating Server Administrator Users for Supported Red Hat Enterprise Linux
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/5.2/en/ug/html/setup.htm#wp1044261

How to start the OMSA GUI
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/5.2/en/ug/html/using.htm#wp1039152

akiefer

Post by akiefer » 2008/10/31 09:22:40

I know this is old but the OMSA is terrible management software. If you want to monitor Dell systems, use BMC for Hardware repots or just an SNMP application. For RAID, go with the LSI or Intel drivers and Raid Management tools. MegaRAID is so much better then the Dell Server Assistant any day. These are all available for linux and easy to install.

LSI Mega Raid Monitor and Drivers (PERC is LSI chipset always on Dell)
Net-snmp
IPMI-SH (BMC, comes with Dell systems)
Manage Engine OpManager (free SNMP monitoring)

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”