Just a rant about CUPS, Samba and printing

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
junglejim

Post by junglejim » 2008/10/17 10:27:40

Apologies but I just have to let off steam somewhere. I can't believe how frustrating it has been trying to print from my linux box to a printer on a windows box (or the other way for that matter)! A day and a half and it's still not working.

I can share directories both ways. smbclient -L windows-box -p shows all the windows shares AND the printer! I can plug the printer (an HP psc 1317) into the linux box and print no problem!

I love linux (using Centos 4.7) and it is usually straightforward to install new hardware, set up samba, apache, tomcat, exim, whatever. As I say I just can't believe that no-one has made linking to a printer on a windows box as simple. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

I've tried the CUPS web interface. I've tried system-config-printer. I've tried smbspool and smbclient > print. I've gone through log files until my eyes bleed.
SOB, SOB!

I'm not expecting a solution in response to this post - there is so much info out there already. That in itself proves the point that it's too complicated.

Just reply in sympathy if you have shared my frustration. If you got it working in 5 minutes, keep it to yourself clever clogs!

Actually, I don't mean that last bit - if you know the magic, I want to know it too, I really, really do!

Now I'm just going to lie down in the dark for a little while. Thanks for being there for me.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Re: Just a rant about CUPS, Samba and printing

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/10/17 16:57:48

I believe it is better to configure with the printer connected to the [i]CentOS[/i] system, making it a print-server for your [i]'doze[/i] box.

Isn't that what you do [b]Ned[/b]?

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2008/10/17 18:52:32

C(an't)U(sually)P(rint)S(tuff) has caused a great deal of aggravation over the years. It is getting better, IMHO.
I don't think I've ever used it as being served from an MS server, though I have used it to serve Windows clients.

I have a VERY dated page with some issues that *used* to be common. I have no idea if it will be of any help, but it's at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/cups.html

(If nothing else, it includes a few nasty comments about CUPS that should make you feel a little better.) :)

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”