Setup of networked printer

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
codesmasher

Post by codesmasher » 2009/01/26 09:31:16

Hi,

I'm in the process of transferring the print services from one machine to another (samba and cups).

I have never dealt with the printing side of things before so would like some clarification in case I am understanding wrong.

From what I can gather I need to use something like system-config-printers to add the printer locally to the machine first? And once this is done I use Samba to share it out?

I also have an issue where the printers on the old server are being picked up and added automatically to my new server (I'm pretty sure they just point to the printers on the original server) - how can I stop this happening (I think its cups scanning the network and adding them automatically - although in printer properties they come up as beind added by system-config-printers??).

Once I have gotten this far I can think about adding printer drivers for the Windows clients etc :-(

Cheers

CS

pjwelsh

Re: Setup of networked printer

Post by pjwelsh » 2009/01/26 19:32:20

[quote]system-config-printers to add the printer locally to the machine first? And once this is done I use Samba to share it out?[/quote]

Yes. That is correct.

[quote]printers on the old server are being picked up and added automatically to my new server[/quote]

Yes. In the system-config-printer there is a "Shared" option in the "Settings" tab to disable that on a per-printer basis from the old host.
OR to disable it all together on the new host just run system-config-printer select "Server Settings" and uncheck "Show printers shared by other systems".

codesmasher

Post by codesmasher » 2009/01/28 14:10:23

Cheers - after much head scratching and manual reading I have set up my print server and managed to have Windows clients install their drivers too from the server 8-) .

I had to read parts of the samba manual, the cups manual, visit linuxprinting.org for a special driver for the Design Jet we have and follow this page to finish it all off :- http://www.wlug.org.nz/SambaPrinting

:-D

CS

michaelnel

Post by michaelnel » 2009/01/29 00:55:29

Glad you got it working. Even with all you had to go through, "modern" Linux printing is WAYYYY easier than Unix SYS5 stuff I used years ago. It was lucky then we ever got *anything* to print!

codesmasher

Post by codesmasher » 2009/01/29 11:02:17

Yes - I'm glad it's moved out of the 1970's in that respect :-)

One question I do have is if I only have Windows machines sending print jobs - is it worth bothering using print drivers for the printers or is it better just to set up a raw queue and let the windows print drivers just send the data over? does it make any difference or is the system clever enough to figure it all out itself?

CS

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”