Vista64 won't talk to Samba but Vista32 and others will

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
kdeugau

Vista64 won't talk to Samba but Vista32 and others will

Post by kdeugau » 2009/03/07 02:50:06

I recently built a new primary desktop, and installed 64-bit Vista on it.

However, unlike all the other Windows machines on my LAN (one 32-bit Vista, a couple of XP, Windows 2000 worked while I still had that on a system, and Win98 works if I don't use too long a password), it doesn't seem to want to send a coherent username/password to be able to see Samba shares on my CentOS 4 router/fileserver.

Samba version is the current CentOS update (samba-3.0.28-0.el4.9).

Google searches have turned up plenty of posts from ~2006 or so from people having trouble with Vista generally; I've tried the suggestions but none have worked (pretty much as I expected since I've already got one Vista machine happily talking to Samba).

Switching my x64 Vista account from "standard user" to "administrator" (and rebooting for good measure) didn't help.

I've made as certain as possible that Windows Firewall is disabled.

Access to shares on other machines (all Windows) works as well as Vista's "admin priviledges aren't really admin priviledges" thing allows.

The only evidence of an error on the Samba side is a couple of log entries reading "Invalid snum 7 for kdeugau". I use the same username on all the machines.

I'm pretty sure even the 64-bit Windows 7 install I played with for a while on the same machine worked fine (just have to power down and shuffle hard drives to confirm).

I can connect to both administrative and regular shares on the Windows machines with the same username/password.

kdeugau

*sigh* it never fails... ask the world and find the solution 10 minutes later

Post by kdeugau » 2009/03/07 16:48:52

Somewhere along the line all of the systems that could access Samba shares... couldn't.

Manually checking the Samba config and correcting or removing a number of unwanted or incorrect settings (primarily "browseable = no" - on my systems, that should **never** be set) fixed things right up. One removed entry that's my best guess for the failure was an entry mapping Windows user IDs into Unix UIDs starting around 2^24 (16.7 million or so). I may have tried making unrelated changes through a web-based utility, which "helpfully" added that (and a few others) while making the real change I intended.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”