Error Loading Operating System

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
DiEn

Post by DiEn » 2010/01/03 20:28:08

Hello, I've this problem with CentOS 4.8 server installed on two ide disks 320gb in software raid0 mode.
I rebooted the system after some file modifications ( smb.conf, fstab) and this message appeared after POST.
The disks were formatted with druid , the system was running well from 6 days/24h , fileserver samba and printserver.
Can someone help me ? There is a tool for recovering the bootloader or repairing raid0 ?

thanks and sorry for my bad english

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/01/03 22:57:25

Welcome to the CentOS fora.

Your English is fine, but your system may be dead - installing the OS on RAID0 is risky, and definitely not recommended, as it has no redundancy. If either disk dies or has errors you are out of luck. Have you tried booting from the installation media in rescue mode to see if you can mount the installed image?

See the Wiki article on how to [url=http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB]reinstall GRUB[/url] but if one drive is gone that will not help. Hope you have good backups.

DiEn

Re: Error Loading Operating System

Post by DiEn » 2010/01/04 00:29:28

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
Welcome to the CentOS fora.

Your English is fine, but your system may be dead - installing the OS on RAID0 is risky, and definitely not recommended, as it has no redundancy. If either disk dies or has errors you are out of luck. Have you tried booting from the installation media in rescue mode to see if you can mount the installed image?

See the Wiki article on how to [url=http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB]reinstall GRUB[/url] but if one drive is gone that will not help. Hope you have good backups.[/quote]

Thanks , you're welcome !

I tried booting in rescue mode and all raid partitions were mounted , all data in / , /home , /boot are ok , the disks are alive.
This is the raid software configuration I made during installation procedure 6 days ago :

1 partition raid1 /boot
1 partition raid0 /swap
1 partition raid0 /
1 partition raid0 /home

I chose raid0 thinking to have more speed hw/sw , but I made a mistake .
There is some tool in rescue mode to recovery the correct boot loading ?

Thanks !

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/01/04 11:03:26

Did you try to reinstall GRUB using the procedure in post #2 and in your quote of it?

For a new install did you consider using the current release 5.4? That would be recommended unless you need 4.x. Since it it is a new install I'd recommend backing up any required data and doing a fresh install without RAID0 for OS disks or critical data.

DiEn

Post by DiEn » 2010/01/04 17:10:05

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
Did you try to reinstall GRUB using the procedure in post #2 and in your quote of it?

For a new install did you consider using the current release 5.4? That would be recommended unless you need 4.x. Since it it is a new install I'd recommend backing up any required data and doing a fresh install without RAID0 for OS disks or critical data.[/quote]

I tried unsuccessfully , it results impossible install grub on /dev/md0 or /mnt/sysyimage/boot .
Now I'm securecopying all my data from /dev/md3 alias /home to another pc . After I'll reinstall CentOS 5.4 , this time without any types of raid .

Thank you I appreciated so much your helping hand !

Bye, David

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/01/04 23:01:22

[quote]
DiEn wrote:

I tried unsuccessfully , it results impossible install grub on /dev/md0 or /mnt/sysyimage/boot .[/quote]
Neither of those is a valid device for grub-install - may want to reread the Wiki page.

[quote]
After I'll reinstall CentOS 5.4 , this time without any types of raid .
[/quote]
Good plan. Good luck!

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”