Basic e-mail server installation

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
nenenaiad

Postby nenenaiad » 2010/06/22 22:13:00

Hi,

I decided to follow the Wiki Postfix HOWTO today in order to set up a basic e-mail server and note that all seems well until the lines suggested are added.

The protocols line is O.K. but the mail_location and pop3_uid1_format line seem to cause a failure unknown setting error
when an attempt is made to start dovecot.

Any thoughts about this would be most helpful.

Regards,

Dave

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Postby NedSlider » 2010/06/23 12:03:11

The guide was written for CentOS-5 which ships with a newer version of dovecot.

It would seem those options are not supported by dovecot in CentOS-4. I would suggest you start by reading the dovecot.conf config file for examples - normally they are well commented.

The pop3_uid1_format line is only really needed for compatibility with Outlook mail clients, so if you don't use Outlook then you don't need it.

WRT the mail_location line, I assume dovecot in C4 supports both maildir and mbox formats, but if it doesn't feel free to use mbox format instead.

Sorry I can't be more specific - I don't have a C4 installation here to test.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Basic e-mail server installation

Postby pschaff » 2010/06/24 14:54:50

Might have been better to stick with the original thread. Sorry I did not know about the differences between CentOS 4 and 5 with regard to dovecot package versions. Have you considered using CentOS 5 for your mail server? It has a much longer support life and is better supported in the Fora and mailing lists than the much older CentOS 4.