Internal e-mail system

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
nenenaiad

Internal e-mail system

Postby nenenaiad » 2010/06/25 19:17:17

Hi,

If you look below you will see some requests re an internal e-mail system.

I implemented a system some years ago using an FC 7 server with a simple change to IP address
on the DAEMON_OPTIONS line and a change to the /xenetd.d/POP3 file which I will include now......

sendmail can work as a internal mail server. One if all your users have a valid login and password on the linux box then you can configure sendmail in such a way that it would never send mails to any internet domains. in fact the default sendmail config is such that you have to remove the loopback restriction to make it compliant enough to send mails over the inTERnet. let us assume that you have all the users added in the linux box and they have a valid password set up. if i am not mistaken, the pop3 service runs as a combo of the "xinetd" service in fedora core 2. look for the file /etc/xinetd.d/pop3 and change it to look like
##########
# default: off
# description: The POP3 service allows remote users to access their mail \
# using an POP3 client such as Netscape Communicator, mutt, \
# or fetchmail.
service pop3
{
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
log_on_success += HOST DURATION
log_on_failure += HOST
# disable = yes #this is the default setting and you edit this to make it NO
disable = no
}
#################

then do a "service xinetd restart" to make the server listen on port 110 which is the default for pop access. if you have sendmail installed on the machine. then edit the file /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and look for the line (assuming that your linux server ip address is 192.168.1.10)

#######
dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback address
dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
dnl #
dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl ####this is the line to edit###

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.1.10, Name=MTA')dnl

dnl #
#########
now your system should have the port 25 open for only in the local network address. try adding an account on any of the outlook express machines and provide a valid username and password. create a new account and send a couple of messages to see if it works fine or not.

voila! your intranet mail server is now ready.

----------------------

Could any body tell me where the /xinetd.d/pop3 filehas gone, and how to get it back. By the way it wasn't me !

Regards

Dave

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Internal e-mail system

Postby pschaff » 2010/06/25 19:42:36

Can't tell you where the old stuff you miss has gone, but pop3 is addressed in the Wiki PostFix HowTo articles:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_sasl