CentOS Based Firewall Document

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
ontime

Re: CentOS Based Firewall Document

Post by ontime » 2006/06/13 21:54:02

That is all well and good, but you must consider how folks feel. It does appear you are building an email list. No one is questioning why, . . . yet, . . . but we do feel you'd be better served placing this document online with a link where folks can link/download it directly.

Spam is rampant, why not ease everyone by allowing a download instead of making it a requirement to offer email links from this forum and/or for you to send to.

Sorry, I always say what others don't want to. Don't care. Been there, done that type of thing. I don't know you, don't know your intentions and don't offer email addresses for anything no one else has proven to be worth the risk.

If you wish to offer genuine support, make it available to everyone without requirements.

ftanner

Post by ftanner » 2006/06/14 21:18:59

[quote]
ontime wrote:
That is all well and good, but you must consider how folks feel. It does appear you are building an email list. No one is questioning why, . . . yet, . . . but we do feel you'd be better served placing this document online with a link where folks can link/download it directly.

Spam is rampant, why not ease everyone by allowing a download instead of making it a requirement to offer email links from this forum and/or for you to send to.

Sorry, I always say what others don't want to. Don't care. Been there, done that type of thing. I don't know you, don't know your intentions and don't offer email addresses for anything no one else has proven to be worth the risk.

If you wish to offer genuine support, make it available to everyone without requirements.[/quote]

Then don't request my document. That simple.

This is not some dumbass e-mail harvesting scheme, as anyone that has received the document will tell you. If you don't like the way my document is offered, tough cookies. I worked my ass off creating this document FOR MY OWN USE. I *AM NOT* going to pay for bandwidth to offer a document up for free. That would be fundimentally stupid of me. I offered it up for download on the, *OBVIOUSLY*, mistaken assumption that someone else might find it useful. Excuse the f**k out of me for trying to be a nice guy and give back to the community.

This isn't the first document that I have given to the community in this manner and *YOU* are the first person, in 20 years, that has *EVER* accused me of this bulls**t. So, kindly, stick your accusations in your ***. I will no longer be posting on these forums, thanks to you, and you alone.

This also means, when I "re-create" my "Building a DNS Server using BIND" and my "Building a Network Monitor" documents from their previously released very primitive states, compared to my new documentation style, I will not be posting here about either of them and will jsut keep them to myself. This way ungrateful people such as yourself won't have to be bothered to flame me about how I am just some scammer trying to harvest your e-mail address.

pirulo

Post by pirulo » 2006/06/15 16:49:11

can you please send me the document firewall to me to: thanks David@echasqui.com

ontime

Post by ontime » 2006/06/16 00:42:14

Whoa dood. You lay blame on me for nothing more than anyone else has already said far before I ever came to the CENTOS forums.

There is no need to get your blood pressure up.

I DID NOT accuse you of am email scheme....but only brought note to WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID before me.

If you are short on bandwidth, I gladly offer you a spot to use. I will gladly provide you with a sub to put the doc for the world to download FOR FREE. No tracking, No emails to answer, no additional email in your box, no bandwidth on your server and No CURSING and insults offered or intended.

In reference to your last.....(This also means, when I "re-create.......) You offer yourself up as being a bit childish for your 20 years of support if you are going to deny others your expertise simply because you didn't take the time to read ALL of the posts in this thread and left it to yourself to attack me for a simple statement.

My offer to supply space for your documents for download FOR THE BENEFIT of all is genuine. If you aren't prepared to except the offer, please, please forgive me for thinking your reply to this post is such a waste of space for all the other good people in need of your help.

To everyone else here in the CENTOS community, forgive the both of us for such a gross display of B.S. Shame such good talent should be wasted on a bad high or lack of nooky.

[quote]
Then don't request my document. That simple.

This is not some dumbass e-mail harvesting scheme, as anyone that has received the document will tell you. If you don't like the way my document is offered, tough cookies. I worked my ass off creating this document FOR MY OWN USE. I *AM NOT* going to pay for bandwidth to offer a document up for free. That would be fundimentally stupid of me. I offered it up for download on the, *OBVIOUSLY*, mistaken assumption that someone else might find it useful. Excuse the f**k out of me for trying to be a nice guy and give back to the community.

This isn't the first document that I have given to the community in this manner and *YOU* are the first person, in 20 years, that has *EVER* accused me of this bulls**t. So, kindly, stick your accusations in your ***. I will no longer be posting on these forums, thanks to you, and you alone.

This also means, when I "re-create" my "Building a DNS Server using BIND" and my "Building a Network Monitor" documents from their previously released very primitive states, compared to my new documentation style, I will not be posting here about either of them and will jsut keep them to myself. This way ungrateful people such as yourself won't have to be bothered to flame me about how I am just some scammer trying to harvest your e-mail address.[/quote]

rje_nc

Post by rje_nc » 2006/07/09 16:40:00

For someone to question why you would prefer to respond to 7 pages of document requests rather than posting it somewhere for the benefit of the community seems like a reasonable question to me. ftanner's over the top reaction is far different from the normal attitude of most folks in this and other forums I read, and would cause me to be even more skeptical of the motives at play here.

I have no idea what is driving this (ego maybe?), but there are plenty of other folks willing to provide info and help on this and nearly every other linux topic without the need to extert such total control over information. This sounds more like a MS attitude than what we usualy see in the linux community, and seems to go completely against the spirit of Open Source.

Sorry to see you go, but I personally would rather not see this kind of attitude in the forums anyway. Life is too short for that...

Bob

convgn

Post by convgn » 2006/07/18 21:50:07

Hi

Could I get the document please? I have recently installed CentOS and need a firewall.

Regards
Srini

convgn

Post by convgn » 2006/07/18 21:52:04

I forgot to give my email Id earlier: learning24x7@gmail.com

locutius

Post by locutius » 2006/07/23 20:36:44

i agree with rje_nc who says it very well

BUT what is the big secret about firewalls? if you are running a server you NEED an advanced policy firewall .... start here it has comprehensive advanced features including anti-DDOS and brute-force protection and importantly tcp stack protection against syn ack flood attacks http://www.rfxnetworks.com/apf.php

easy to install and setup

jcastellanosg

Post by jcastellanosg » 2006/07/28 00:33:25

Could I please get a copy of the document too, thanks.
jorgeenrique.castellanos@gmail.com

Maciek

Post by Maciek » 2006/08/21 08:24:21

Could I please get a copy of the document too, thanks.
[email]maciejpk@poczta.onet.pl[/email]

Return to “CentOS 4 - Security Support”