autologout

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
rugger

autologout

Post by rugger » 2006/10/16 09:59:40

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get the system to automatically logout a user (gnome- X11) if that user leaves
his terminal idle for a specified length of time? I noticed that Suse has an autolog rpm for doing this. Is there an
equivalent for Centos 4.4?

Regards,

rugger

RedEye_

Re: autologout

Post by RedEye_ » 2006/10/16 12:37:57

Are you using CentOS for the Terminal Server, or Client?
If for the server:
What thin client are you using?

rugger

Post by rugger » 2006/10/16 14:33:55

Redeye,

I am actually using LTSP (4.2) as a thin client X server, with Centos 4.4 as the server environment providing gnome under gdm.

I want to get the server (Centos 4.4) to logoff a user who has abondoned his thin client terminal automatically. Is there a mechanism
under gdm I can use to achieve this?

rugger

RedEye_

Post by RedEye_ » 2006/10/16 15:07:02

I was able to find this:

The Configuration File - gdm.conf

The daemon and the accompanying utilities share a common configuration file: /gdm/gdm.conf.

The configuration file is divided into sections each containing variables that define the behavior for a specific part of the GDM suite. The file is fairly well commented as well.

gdm.conf follows the standard .ini style configuration file syntax. Keywords in brackets define sections, strings before an equal sign (=) are variables and the data after equal sign represents their value. Empty lines or lines starting with the hash mark (#) are ignored. The graphical configurator will try to preserve both comments (lines with a hash mark) and the overall structure of the file so you can intermix using the GUI or hand editing the configuration file.

Within the article I found in that config file it contains all the session timeout settings.

http://www.jirka.org/gdm-documentation/x241.html Here is the link

hope this helps, also if you are using firefox CRTL+F and search for timeout

rugger

Post by rugger » 2006/10/16 16:03:02

RedEye,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was aware of the gdm.conf file. I did browse this to see if there was a suitable timeout
parameter. Having examined them, there does not appear to be one that suits my purpose. The xdmcp section
is the one used by my LTSP clients and forms part of the LTSP configuration.

Regards,

rugger

garskoci

autologout

Post by garskoci » 2006/10/16 21:55:40

You could write a script that examines the "idle" output value from the w command. If it's longer than your timeframe, close their connection. Just be aware that they may be in the middle of something such as editing a file.

Edit: Or..... Doh! You can set the TMOUT variable in the .profile file. The value is in seconds.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Security Support”