Keeping software up to date

Support for webhosts that use CentOS
mikeshoup

Post by mikeshoup » 2005/04/05 16:49:29

So, I've been administering a small time server for a little bit now. I've been running CentOS 3 for quite some time. However, the RPM packages for Apache, PHP, etc, aren't ever the latest version. So, to keep me up to date, I've not installed those RPMs, and have been installing them by hand via Source. Is there another recommended way to do it? I'd like to do things the RPM way if possible.

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2005/04/05 19:10:15

[quote]
mikeshoup wrote:
... So, to keep me up to date, I've not installed those RPMs, and have been installing them by hand via Source. Is there another recommended way to do it? I'd like to do things the RPM way if possible.[/quote]
My question will seem stupid, but : Why are you using CentOS if you want a 'bleeding-edge' distro (like Fedora Core)with all the latest versions of everything ?
If you need to stick with a 'Enterprise' oriented distro (for Hardware support) but want to have up-to-dated software installed on it, and go the RPMS way, why not build newer version ?
I mean, why not download CentOS SRPMS for the application (Apache, PHP, etc ...) you want newer version, download the newer source (from original website), modify the spec file to use newer version, and rebuild into a new RPM ?
However, note that using newer version than those provided with CentOS will break the benefit of using CentOS security updates !
You'll be in charge for yourself (and other users using your rebuilded RPMS) of rebuilding (testing) and distributing those errata RPMS ....
Of course, it depends how many servers you need to maintain ... :-D

devil

Re: Keeping software up to date

Post by devil » 2005/04/06 13:50:28

somewhat agree, it isnt always to use the newer version relase of everything thats comes around, that is okay for test systems or on yr personal PC, but as far as production systems are concern, i sugest u stick 2 what is been proven and patched (stood the security tests), sometimes an upgrade to newer realse is needed might due to an critical security patch...but an constant is ruled out, it bad if someday u find out the upgrade messed yr production system beyond usage...

Return to “CentOS 4 - Webhosting Support”