Web Server Setup Help

Support for webhosts that use CentOS
Tranzium

Web Server Setup Help

Post by Tranzium » 2006/12/07 14:57:04

Hello everyone,

I have received my 3.2GHz Xeon, 1GB Ram, Full ThermalTake Server yesturday and I need help setting up everything.

First: I have two hard drives, a 80GB and a 320GB (both SATA) and I would like the 80GB dedicated to ONLY programs and all the system files and the 320GB only for website files and game server files.

Second: I need all the basic configurations for a web server (Apache, PHP, MySQL, FTP and an SMTP setup) also I need a Name Server setup (for multiple domain abilities)

Thirdly: I would like to host game servers aswell as websites.

*NOTE: I need a control panel and a web hosting manager but I do not have money for cPanel ATM.
I found VHCS which seems to be good but what would you guys

Q: (I know I will need to buy a new router since it can only broadcast 1 IP)
A webserver only needs 1 IP and you tell a domain to go to a specific folder on the server. (ext1.com -> /ext1/) BUT A game server needs its own IP right? How is this possible to have 1 server with multiple IPs?

foxb

Re: Web Server Setup Help

Post by foxb » 2006/12/07 15:30:36

[quote]
Tranzium wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have received my 3.2GHz Xeon, 1GB Ram, Full ThermalTake Server yesturday and I need help setting up everything.

First: I have two hard drives, a 80GB and a 320GB (both SATA) and I would like the 80GB dedicated to ONLY programs and all the system files and the 320GB only for website files and game server files.

Second: I need all the basic configurations for a web server (Apache, PHP, MySQL, FTP and an SMTP setup) also I need a Name Server setup (for multiple domain abilities)

Thirdly: I would like to host game servers aswell as websites.

*NOTE: I need a control panel and a web hosting manager but I do not have money for cPanel ATM.
I found VHCS which seems to be good but what would you guys

Q: (I know I will need to buy a new router since it can only broadcast 1 IP)
A webserver only needs 1 IP and you tell a domain to go to a specific folder on the server. (ext1.com -> /ext1/) BUT A game server needs its own IP right? How is this possible to have 1 server with multiple IPs?[/quote]

For firsr and second check documentation
http://www.centos.org/docs/4

Third depends on game server, but be aware that game server is CPU intensive and needs more RAM

you can have multiple IPs with one server using virtual adapters... but you can use same IP for game server and web hosting - they run on different ports..

jasonxoxide

Post by jasonxoxide » 2006/12/07 16:47:32

It sounds like you're going to be running this from your home. Make sure that running a server is allowed under the TOS with your internet provider. If it's not, they may cut you off if they find out.

Tranzium

Post by Tranzium » 2006/12/07 17:24:55

For now, I plan to run Counter-Strike and CS: Source game servers but in the future I would plan to run any game. I just need to know how to be able to direct my IP (probably will have to be based on ports, since I only have 1 IPs (will contact Cogeco and see how to obtain all 3) but I most likely will only have 1)

So I guess it will be like this:
Game server 1 : IP : 27039
Game server 2 : IP : 27040
Game server 3 : IP : 27054

And yes, I am running this from my house and I have contacted my ISP (Cogeco) before and they said I am allowed to have a server as long as I follow my plans settings (bandwitdh, IPs ect) but they cannot help me run it or anything. So they will not be a problem, as far as I know.

Does anyone have a good setup tutorial or could anyone write steps on how to achieve this setup?

breun

Post by breun » 2006/12/22 11:31:55

Just read the docs that come with the software you want to install. If any CentOS specific problems come up you can always come back to ask.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Webhosting Support”