Configure Questions regarding Options, Permissions and Mounting.

Support for the other architectures (X86_64, s390(x) and PowerPC)
dwflo

Configure Questions regarding Options, Permissions and Mounting.

Post by dwflo » 2005/06/10 22:52:39

1. How do I set the folder options, to keep a new window from opening, each time I click on another folder. I was able to find an option, in the Configuration Editor for Nautilus, but it is unchecked. Yet, I cannot find any other option to change the behavor.

2. Can I mount NTSF partitions? If so, is it possible to read and write to the partitions? I have WinXP Pro x64 installed, and would like to be able to move files back and forth, instead of rebooting to each OS, to perform those simple tasks.

3. When downloading RPM's, if I do not use the installer option in Firefox Download Manager, and choose to save it to disc, I am unable to install without coping it to the / folder, even though I am logged on as root. How does one set up the proper permissions, through the terminal, how?

4. Last, but not least, are there any Mauals or Documents that can be downloaded for CentOS? All I find are online ducuments, which I am hesitant to download for fear of getting too many other links, the documents I can get in PDF are RedHat.

dwflo

Re: Configure Questions regarding Options, Permissions and Mounting.

Post by dwflo » 2005/06/14 22:51:53

Never mind with number three, I figured it out myself. :evil:

theorist

Configure Questions regarding Options, Permissions and Mount

Post by theorist » 2005/06/21 17:47:24

[quote]
dwflo wrote:

2. Can I mount NTSF partitions? If so, is it possible to read and write to the partitions? I have WinXP Pro x64 installed, and would like to be able to move files back and forth, instead of rebooting to each OS, to perform those simple tasks.
[/quote]

Read only access is pretty straight-forward and has been answered several times on this forum. You will need to add the module for your kernel which you should be able to find here:
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/rhel4.html
Then mount the partition in the usual way.

Write access is not well supported because the ntfs format is not in the public domain. Paragon software produces commerical drivers that will allow you to write to an ext2/3 partition from windows and they work pretty well. I've not tried their ntfs drivers.

[quote]
4. Last, but not least, are there any Mauals or Documents that can be downloaded for CentOS? All I find are online ducuments, which I am hesitant to download for fear of getting too many other links, the documents I can get in PDF are RedHat.[/quote]

The Redhat ones will apply to CentOS - the distributions are compiled from identical sources.