Firefox problem and I am not to pleased with no replies.

Support for the other architectures (X86_64, s390(x) and PowerPC)
dwflo

Post by dwflo » 2005/06/14 22:45:53

All of a sudden Firefox will not run in the user mode. I must be logged in a root to access the web.
Just downloded and installed the new updates, but that should not make a dirrerence!

Today I got a notice from the up2date applet icon and downloaded an update for Telenet. Think that might of caused the problem?

BTW,
It would be nice if you Support people, reply to posted messages promply without too much delay. Gives me the feeling CentOS support is not very good. I have seen many messages over 30 days old, that have never had any reply. In my view, that is unexceptable. Why would I want to donate, if nobody cares? :-x

gavin

Post by gavin » 2005/06/17 09:55:16

[quote]
dwflo wrote:
All of a sudden Firefox will not run in the user mode. I must be logged in a root to access the web.
Just downloded and installed the new updates, but that should not make a dirrerence!

Today I got a notice from the up2date applet icon and downloaded an update for Telenet. Think that might of caused the problem?[/quote]I wouldn't think so, it would be very odd if Firefox depended on telnet! The last time I had this problem it was caused by a dodgy PATH setting for this user, so that some ancient libraries were being picked up from an ancient software package because they were in his path before the normal system libs. I can't remember now which libraries were concerned, but try backing up the .bash_profile and copying the skeleton one in from /etc/skel. If Firefox works, you have a similar problem and are pretty much on your own as we don't know your system config.

[quote]
BTW,
It would be nice if you Support people, reply to posted messages promply without too much delay. Gives me the feeling CentOS support is not very good.[/quote]On the contrary, whenever I've had questions they've been answered on these forums pretty quickly either by a developer or a member of the forum community. Thats all CentOS support is, it's pretty much "Red Hat with no service agreements". This is fine, considering what it costs you (free, or a small donation).

[quote]I have seen many messages over 30 days old, that have never had any reply. In my view, that is unexceptable. Why would I want to donate, if nobody cares? :-x[/quote]People would want to donate because you can choose how much to donate, it's cheaper than Red Hat. You don't get the choice with Red Hat, it's a fixed price per machine. With CentOS you get almost the same thing but you can put your own value on it. If you want guaranteed support within a certain timeframe, you should go and try Red Hat and pay for the support :)