Intermitent freeze at "initializing hardware... storage network audio"

Support for the other architectures (X86_64, s390(x) and PowerPC)
fgomes

Intermitent freeze at "initializing hardware... storage network audio"

Post by fgomes » 2006/10/11 10:34:14

I have a server with Dual Opteron CPU using CentOS 4.4 with OpenVZ RHEL4 kernel (ovzkernel-smp-2.6.9-023stab016.2.x86_64.rpm).
After some initial problems to put everything working in 64 bits (it was the first 64 bit linux I install), now I manage to have several VEs (openVZ virtual machines) running well and stable. The problem that I found lately is that the system sometimes hangs when booting the PC (about 50% or less of the boot times), at "initializing hardware... storage network audio". I usualy reset it and enter in interactive boot and it always boot normaly when using interactive boot.
What can I do to diagnose this hanging problem?
What exactly does it mean ""initializing hardware... storage network audio"? The system has no audio... It is a server board and transport from Tyan - Tiger K8SSA (S3870) - http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8ssa.html

Thanks for all your help!

Fernando

netjunkie

Re: Intermitent freeze at "initializing hardware... storage network audio"

Post by netjunkie » 2006/10/13 17:02:06

Hi Everyone,

I am also having this problem, with my SunFire X2100 M2 servers, the server boots upto the "Detecting new hardware" stage, just after Storate...network...audio.

STALLS AT.....Checking for new Hardware.....

The problem is, I am unable to be near the machines to always do interactive boot as the machines are in a co-lo and have no monitor or any access.

What could the problem be, can I re-install with a different version than Centos 4.4_64_X86?

Please please advise

Regards

Netjunkie.

netjunkie

Post by netjunkie » 2006/10/13 17:26:13

Here is some info off the SUN site about this,

[quote]

The managed server fails to reboot completely after Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0AS Update 3, 64–bit operating system is provisioned on an Sun Blade X8400 server through the expansion module. The blade might fail to boot if Kudzu is enabled. The operation stops with the message Checking for new hardware.

To disable Kudzu on a Sun Blade X8400 Server through a Linux OS Profile, perform the following steps:

Create a shell script file containing the following lines.

#!/bin/sh
chkconfig kudzu off

Save the file in a known location, for example, /scripts/kudzu.sh.

Add the script to the post section of the OS profile from the N1 System Manager command line using the add osprofile command.

For example, if your Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 3 OS profile is named rhel4u3, you would then type:

N1-ok> add osprofile rhel4u3 script /scripts/kudzu.sh type=post

Ensure that you add the script to the correct OS profile.

Redeploy the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 3 to the Sun Blade X8400 Server using the updated profile.

[/quote]

My problem is when the server boots it wont even let me enter interactive mode, so i can go to a shell to switch off Kudzu, any ideas?

gerald_clark

Intermitent freeze at "initializing hardware... storage netw

Post by gerald_clark » 2006/10/13 18:42:37

Bring it up single user.

wella

Post by wella » 2007/07/23 19:51:15

I had to disable the USB 2.0 support in the Bios, and it is still not working try to have acpi=off in order to get to boot.

It worked with me till I find a driver support for Legacy USB2

Return to “CentOS 4 - X86_64,s390(x) and PowerPC Support”