Multiple questions

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
Akchuck1960

Multiple questions

Postby Akchuck1960 » 2007/02/05 23:48:45

Mods you can move this, if its misplaced. right now I am dazed and confused!

I recently signed up for VPS, it was suppose to be a seamless transition. Since it’s been hardly that at all. I was looking for something that I could still work with, and slowly learn about dedicated. I also needed VPS for up coming upgrades and massive expansion. Right now my domains are in the basement no past the basement.

My latest problem has been with “memory”. The problem is my memory runs out. I think cannot access my email or homepages. It wasn’t a DDOS attack, according to tech support. Tech support tells me its scripts and over usage.

Common sense tells me its not scripts. At the present I have no scripts, when this problem started I did have a Vbulletin forum that was shut down at the Vbulletin control panel. So no one could access it. My bandwidth it around ten to twenty megs so use could not be the issue.

Now my host is pushing full dedicated on me, because of the problem.

Will someone help?

I need easy to understand stuff to educate me centos.

Also if someone could help me figure out what its going on.

The whole experience makes me feel like a complete idiot. I feel like I have been pushed off a very high building and told to fly.

pjwelsh

Multiple questions

Postby pjwelsh » 2007/02/06 04:43:33

Run:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /proc/meminfo
cat /proc/vmstat
ps aux

They will give clues (ALOT of extra maybe, also) that may lead to one issue or more.

Akchuck1960

Re: Multiple questions

Postby Akchuck1960 » 2007/02/06 06:32:10

Run it in root? I am assuming yes, if not a foolish question where, and how do I get there. :-?

Thank You so much for not talking down to me. I haven’t had that experience since this has started. Its them telling my I am too big and need a dedicated server. I know better.

pjwelsh

Re: Multiple questions

Postby pjwelsh » 2007/02/06 16:24:10

To run the commands I gave you, you do not need to be root. You may want to make sure that nothing "sensitive" appears. That could be usernames. If so, just replace with something like xxxxxx, if you want.