solution to restore error "Root directory is not on tape"

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
Bashaman

solution to restore error "Root directory is not on tape"

Post by Bashaman » 2007/02/09 09:45:17

I have been having problems restoring dump files for my webserver for some time. Our backups are made daily via NFS and stored on a separate backup server. The webserver uses Logical Volumes as partitions. It contains 3 partitions,
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol03 on /data
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02 on /var

I can restore files from backups on the backup server for the /data partition but I am not able to restore files for the / (root) partition

The error reported was:

[root@backup February]# restore -if webserver.dump
. is not on the tape
Root directory is not on tape
abort? [yn]

I could not restore any data and made the developers in my department very unhappy :-?. I could not find a solution to my problem using a search engine and it took quite some time to figure out the problem.

The solution is to simply mount the NFS backup share on the webserver and restore the backups using restore on the webserver. I do not know why this worked but I hope this messages helps others facing the same problem

pjwelsh

Re: solution to restore error "Root directory is not on tape"

Post by pjwelsh » 2007/02/09 15:17:33

Thank you for the info. You may want to try using one of the differential copy/backup utilities like (my favorite) rdiff-backup instead of a network filesystem based one. rdiff-backup (http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/) allows for "normal" full system/directory/file/etc + any number of (compressed) differential copies. Restoration is very straight forward especially if the newest backup is wanted.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Miscellaneous Questions”