insall udated apps from other locations

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
Wan2Fly

Postby Wan2Fly » 2007/02/16 15:53:10

I looked around to see if this ? was asked.

I was wondering is there are any issues installing the newer update to apache, php, MySQL to CentOS?

I know that you can only do so much in terms of building the new update to Cent however there are always updates coming out and I like to keep the system right upto date.

I think this might be a good thing to post on the main page as it will help other make a decision whether to install centOS.

Right now I am using SUSE 10.X and have run into snags there with the update process.

the other question i have: If I am udateing the various programs, which file(s) should I be downloading? I see or Linux, SUSE, and other platforms but nothing for CentOS.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to your replies.

Fly

Lenard

Postby Lenard » 2007/02/16 16:30:42

First you should note a few things;

First: CentOS == RHEL

Second:
http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/yum/
http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

Third: CentOS is a 100% binary compatible clone of the North American Vendor (see First above) which by default means things are stable and not the 'latest and greatest versions' of most applications. Red Hat (and by default CentOS) spends a lot of time and effort backporting the truly need security and enhancement fixes to the applications making sure they are stable. If you want something that is the 'latest and greatest' / bleeding edge the consider FC6/7

WhatsHisName

Re: insall udated apps from other locations

Postby WhatsHisName » 2007/02/16 16:33:24

Adding to Lenard’s comments, read this RedHat description of backporting.

Wan2Fly

Re: install updated apps from other locations

Postby Wan2Fly » 2007/02/16 18:49:28

To both who replied thanks. This did answer my question and concerns.

I will error on the side of stability and something robust then something which might give head aches. I can not afford down times.

I will be supporting this forum with paypal to.

There was mention about the release of CentOS 5 and just wondering when it will be released and is there measures taken to do an upgrade from CentOS4

Thanks again,

Fly

WhatsHisName

Re: install updated apps from other locations

Postby WhatsHisName » 2007/02/16 19:24:32

There was mention about the release of CentOS 5 and just wondering when it will be released and is there measures taken to do an upgrade from CentOS4.

Yes, No, Sometimes, Maybe ... and all of the above.

The simple answers are (1) that the Anaconda installer gives you the option to upgrade an old version and in the process likely break several critical packages and (2) that yum (with experience) can be used to cleanly upgrade to a new release, but you may miss out on several new enhancements.

There is always debate about upgrading vs. doing a fresh install. If your current installation is having problems, then a fresh install is almost always the way to go.

My personal upgrade/fresh answer is that you should do at least one fresh install of the new version before doing a version upgrade. That way, you can see what new features have been added, decide whether to upgrade or fresh install and optionally include the new features after doing a yum upgrade.