A question about CentOS

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
satimis

A question about CentOS

Postby satimis » 2007/02/22 02:00:38

Hi folks,

CentOS is completely new to me eventhough I have been running Linux and Unix for years. I'm prepared testing CentOS 4-64. Would there be any nVidia driver problem on Video card and onboard NIC card? If it requires to download nVidia driver and install the same on the OS would it require re-installing the driver after running update/upgrade. TIA

B.R.
satimis

pjwelsh

Re: A question about CentOS

Postby pjwelsh » 2007/02/22 02:13:25

I have not done the Nvidia 64-bit official drivers, but if you do, you will atleast need to rebuild them on (the few) kernel updates that happen. Their installer is really pretty good, however (closed source or not, they rock).

satimis

Postby satimis » 2007/02/22 12:42:43

Hi pjwelsh,

Tks for your advice.

but if you do, you will atleast need to rebuild them on (the few) kernel updates that happen. Their installer is really pretty good, however (closed source or not, they rock).

I did it before on 2 Linux OS. Just following the steps on nVidia site you'll be on your way, without problem and difficulty. The installation will configure xorg.conf as well. However on one Linux OS I have to reinstall the driver each time after running "update/upgrade" and reconfig xorg.conf. That is what I'm most concerned. I expect to know whether it would happen on CentOS 4.

Tks.

B.R.
satimis

WhatsHisName

Postby WhatsHisName » 2007/02/22 16:59:45

Yes, when you update the kernel, you will need to reinstall the nvidia GeForce drivers.

But it’s very easy to do, as long as you don’t need to do it on dozens of systems. After the kernel update, (1) boot the system into runlevel 3 the first time, (2) reinstall the drivers (assumes you also installed/updated kernel*devel) and (3) then change to runlevel 5.

Alternatively, many nvidia-based video cards will run on the VESA drivers. So if your graphics needs are not demanding and your card(s) work with VESA drivers, then you might want to stay with the VESA drivers. Then, you will need to do nothing after a kernel update.

satimis

Postby satimis » 2007/02/23 05:25:28

Hi WhatsHisName,

Tks for your advice.

But it’s very easy to do, as long as you don’t need to do it on dozens of systems. After the kernel update, (1) boot the system into runlevel 3 the first time, (2) reinstall the drivers (assumes you also installed/updated kernel*devel) and (3) then change to runlevel 5.

Alternatively, many nvidia-based video cards will run on the VESA drivers. So if your graphics needs are not demanding and your card(s) work with VESA drivers, then you might want to stay with the VESA drivers. Then, you will need to do nothing after a kernel update.

My experience was not only upgrade kernel, some other packages as well which I was not aware. I only made a routine update/upgrade, then the nVidia driver gone. During upgrade I was offered a blanket option, overwrite/retain/abort/etc. the configure files. If I selected "retain" what will be the sense of upgrade? I selected "overwrite", nVidia driver gone.

To reinstall nVidia driver it also needs a GUI browser, difficult to do it on runlevel 3. Because the driver was installed on web interface. Then I was compelled to manually configure xorg.conf running VESA driver instead. VESA can't display resolution > 1024 x 768 correctly. Running X on incorrect resolution on display I reinstalled nVidia driver and reconfigured xorg.conf. After restarted X the LCD display can display correct resolution. There was a lot of work to do. I have experience running elinks, the text browser. But it is difficult to reinstall nVidia driver on it. nVidia site also complained "pls use a correct browser".

I'm prepared to run Cent 4 as server, web/database/mail/etc. I'll install X as well for convenient sake but won't start it at boot. Although I may run remote access with ssh via a workstation to fine tune the server. However it is not very convenient. Besides I have to running 2 PCs to do one job. For such a reason I start this posting to see whether Cent 4 having nVidia driver issue.

Tks.

B.R.
satimis

K_Frye

A question about CentOS

Postby K_Frye » 2007/02/23 06:27:27

satimis wrote:

To reinstall nVidia driver it also needs a GUI browser, difficult to do it on runlevel 3.

No it doesn't. Use whatever text browser you want (or alternatively use curl/wget if you know the direct link to the .run file you want).

eg:

lynx http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Then page down to the appropriate graphics driver (IA32/IA64/AMD64) and follow the corresponding link.

satimis

Postby satimis » 2007/02/23 11:08:01

Hi K_Frye,

Tks for your advice.

No it doesn't. Use whatever text browser you want (or alternatively use curl/wget if you know the direct link to the .run file you want).

eg:

lynx http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Then page down to the appropriate graphics driver (IA32/IA64/AMD64) and follow the corresponding link.

I got it. I tested it with elinks. It needed lot of jumpings on pages before arriving the final destination.

I could not find the driver for my onboard NIC.

I have a M2N-E AM2 motherboard
http://www.excaliberpc.com/ASUS_M2N-E_nFor...-id-567211.html

I installed *Unix on it. The PC was cut off completely from outside World because the onboard NIC can't be detected.

The mobo uses "NVIDIA nForce® 570 Ultra™ MCP(media and communications processor)" chipset.

I searched on;
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

and selected "nForce 570 SLI/570/550 AMD" I could not find the driver for *Unix and Linux there. This is my serious concern. Otherwise the PC is completely cutoff from outside World.

I'll test CentOS 4 to see what will happen. Tks.

B.R.
satimis

Lenard

Postby Lenard » 2007/02/23 12:38:43

This is a almost useless except for marketing purposes, it does not provide the information needed:

The mobo uses "NVIDIA nForce® 570 Ultra™ MCP(media and communications processor)" chipset.

Please post and/or use the output from the typed command (as root);

/sbin/lspci -v

WhatsHisName

Postby WhatsHisName » 2007/02/23 13:14:41

satimis: 1) It's a lot easier to acquire the current nvidia GeForce drivers, etc., BEFORE you reboot into runlevel 3.

2) The driver module for the Asus M2N-E NIC is the standard forcedeth module. When I installed CentOS4.4 on a system using a M2N-E motherboard with an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (65W Windsor), the onboard NIC worked and continues to work fine.

Did you update your motherboard BIOS?

But before someone buys a M2N-E based on my comments, I could not get the sound to work properly. That may change in CentOS5, because CentOS4.4 is using fairly old ALSA drivers. Get the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe instead, which is a good motherboard for linux.

satimis

Postby satimis » 2007/02/23 15:09:42

Hi WhatsHisName,

Did you update your motherboard BIOS?

No. IIRC ASUS provides a software which can upgrade BIOS easily. I'll look at the CDs provided with the mobo.

But before someone buys a M2N-E based on my comments, I could not get the sound to work properly. That may change in CentOS5, because CentOS4.4 is using fairly old ALSA drivers. Get the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe instead, which is a good motherboard for linux.

Noted with tks. Sound is not important to me. A working onboard NIC is most important to me.

Others noted with tks.

B.R.
satimis