Problem with "Mark all topics read"

Having issues using the CentOS WebSite? Then describe your problem(s) here. Please include details of your platform (Linux, Mac, Windows) and browser -- not forgetting the versions of each.
RobTheAdmin

Post by RobTheAdmin » 2009/02/24 22:33:26

Greetings,

Let's say there's topics that I haven't read in the CentOS 5 - General Support forum. On the main Index page there's a dark blue envelope letting me know this. I go into the CentOS 5 - General Support forum. I see there are 3 new posts, all unread. I click on the first one and read it then click on the link that says CentOS 5 - General Support at the top left of the page. The dark blue envelope still appears beside the thread I just read. I click the thread again, read it again, then click CentOS 5 - General Support again. Still a blue envelope. I click the "Mark all topics read" link. It says all topics have been marked read. Except they're still dark blue, indicating they've not been read. But if I go to the main Index the CentOS 5 - General Support forum shows a light blue envelope signifying all topics are read--which is good. Ok, so I click onto CentOS 5 - General Support again. Still some blue envelopes though I marked the topics as read. What's the cause of this?

Logging out of the forums and logging back in does not clear up the dark blue envelopes.

I am using Firefox 3.0.6.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Re: Problem with "Mark all topics read"

Post by AlanBartlett » 2009/02/25 00:20:26

[i]Cookies[/i] not enabled, perhaps?

RobTheAdmin

Post by RobTheAdmin » 2009/02/25 01:04:51

Cookies are definitely enabled.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2009/02/25 01:23:25

Sorry [b]Rob[/b] it's too early in the morning for me to get my brain around your issue . . . 0123 hours UTC . . . where's my bed?

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2009/02/25 01:56:12

Go to sleep.
These forums (there's a long thread somewhere, and Ned has passed it on to the PTB (familiar to Buffy fans, the Powers That Be). I'm pretty sure the Mark Forums Read came in for some mention.

Supposedly, one day, the forums will be updated.
I realize this isn't horribly helpful, but, it's just one of those things. If you go in on more than one computer, it will only remember on that particular computer--so if I check once from my BSD box in the morning, then go to my CentOS box in the afternoon, the CentOS visit will show all the things the BSD box showed as unread.

RobTheAdmin

Post by RobTheAdmin » 2009/02/25 02:37:27

OK, so it may just be a forum deficiency. I can understand that. Thanks for the explanation, Scottro.

It's just strange because I access this forum from one computer only and from one browser only. But then again, if this forum's software is real old, that could explain it all.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2009/02/25 05:34:48

Darn, there goes that theory.

In that case, I'm just guessing that it's some other odd bug with rather dated software.

However, it's *possible* (meaning I have no clue if it is mentioned there, and it's not as if digging up the thread will find you a solution) that thiis issue of yours was also mentioned in the forum improvement thread. :)