Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try aga

Having issues using the CentOS WebSite? Then describe your problem(s) here. Please include details of your platform (Linux, Mac, Windows) and browser -- not forgetting the versions of each.
zitsky

Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try aga

Post by zitsky » 2014/01/15 22:31:41

Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
Any reason why I get this message when trying to search? It seems to happen when I try to go to the second page of search results. It doesn't matter whether or not I am logged in. :|

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try

Post by TrevorH » 2014/01/16 00:48:08

You should definitely login as all searches by non-logged in users are counted as belonging to the guest user. There are restrictions on how many searches you can do and how often in order to stop a user from overloading the server. I suspect that when you press the page forward button, it counts as a second search and you are not allowed to do that within 30 seconds of the previous one. If you take your time on the first page and don't attempt to go to the second page for 30 seconds+ then perhaps it works?

Alternatively, there's this new thing around called a search engine ;-) Using google with the keyword site:www.centos.org will restrict your hits to only those in this domain...
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2014/01/16 01:30:12

It errors out even if you're logged in.

And it effects more then just the search box results - it's the same error if you click on "view your posts" and then click on page 2 without waiting 30-ish seconds (between EACH page).

That delay is a settings in phpbb, and should be adjusted, since it makes several features on this site unusable.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

shumph15

Post by shumph15 » 2014/02/04 21:37:12

same issue for me. It makes searching impossible

stkeg

Post by stkeg » 2014/07/09 07:35:29

any progress with this?

i search for something, i can see page 1 of multiple pages of results, but when i try and click and see another page i get the same error everyone else is getting.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/09 10:16:17

I am unwilling to relax the restrictions on this as it creates the possibility of a DoS by overwhelming our web server. I suggest that you use a well known search engine with the argument "site:centos.org" as a way to obtain a decent search.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke